Understanding my LTD EX-200

Updated
Eduardo M.

Hi all, 

I recently bought a LTD EX200. I did not put too much attention to the fact that the tone knob has two positions, "high" (unpressing the knob) and "sunk" (pressing down the knob), (using expressions that somebody might disagree)

Anybody could bring an explanation about this fact? I can live with it, but there is not an official LTD source where they bother explaining details of their own products, and nowadays, that you can listen to 300 YouTube videos of a particular model of a guitar brand, and you can have even a better idea about the guitar without stepping in the shop.

So, chances are, that the LTD guys think that everything comes for granted, even the stupidest explanation, but no! gentlemen, there is still people on this planet who needs to understand thoroughly the whats and whys.

Can anyone help me explaining the difference of keep the tone pressed vs pulling it to a higher position?

Thanks!

Pushead

Hi, Eduardo. With the knob "sunk" the pickups are set to humbucker mode, meaning both coils are working. With the knob "high" the pickups are in split-coil mode (often referred as a coil tap.) This means only one of the coils of the humbucker is working. The result is that the sound is thinner and possibly quieter and with more buzz.

Does that make sense?

Eduardo M.

Well, I can only say thanks!

A new lesson learned. Is the first time I hear about the coil tap. But having, this, I can dig more in this topic. apart of having a new option, personally, what is your opinion? Do guitars usually have this sort of bonus in the tone knob?

Eduardo M.

Hi Pushead,

So, when pulling the knob up, you are changing the internal circuitry and the humbucker turns to a single coil.

One of the coils of the humbucker is disabled, Right?

Does it affect the pickup selector position to all this option?

I mean, in the middle position, you are enabling both of the humbies, then, are you turning both into "single coils"?

Pushead

Yes, pulling the knob up and putting the selector to the middle you have two "single-coils" working at the same time. Having a coil split/tap option is reasonably common in guitars with passive humbucker pickups. I have it in a few guitars. For the music I play, I don't use it very often, but it doesn't change or limit how the guitar works in humbucker mode, it's just another tone option available.

Eduardo M.

Thanks so much. 

I hope this will be a good help for others. It is curious that i bought the guitar on gear4music and they had nbbot the slightest idea of what i was asking them. 

They didn't know that you actually could pull up the knob.

Now is just a matter of enjoying the possibilities.!!!

Post to Thread