LTD EC-1000 fake?

Updated
venndi k.

Hi,

it is possible that in 2019 built ec 1000 is mik? There is no ec-1000 on the 12th fret. However, the fretboard also doesn’t look like an ebony.

Icefish

It doesnt appear the newer ECs have the EC-1000  at the 12th fret and remember ebony is a wood, so there will be some color variation to it. 

Where is the guitar listed, assuming you are looming to buy it or that you have already purchased said guitar

venndi k.

It is on the German used market. I thought that the switch to Indonesia was before 2019. So is it possible that some ec 1000 in 2019 was made in Korea? In the past I had an ec-1000, and the ebony fretboard was almost without these brownie parts, but this one had more brown part than black. I don’t know what to think.

Michael S.

it is possible that in 2019 built ec 1000 is mik?

- Yes. A lot of the 1000 series instruments are being built in both Indonesia and Korea. 

There is no ec-1000 on the 12th fret.

-A few years back they removed the model number inlay on the 12th fret on LTD's.

However, the fretboard also doesn’t look like an ebony.

-Looks like ebony to me. Most ebony is actually black with brown streaks, like this example. For a long time manufacturers would only use ebony that was mostly black and would sometimes use dye to make it full black. I won't get into it, but there was a big issue with overcutting for ebony looking for mostly black or pure black examples, and the majority of the wood being cut down was being wasted. Manufacturers like Taylor (I think) started to push to use ebony regardless of how black it was, trying to minimize the consumer bias that ebony must be 'pure black' because it was leading to vast overcutting and waste resulting in restrictions being placed on ebony for many years. Nowadays, pure black ebony is very difficult to find and the majority of manufacturers are using any color of ebony. If you see jet black ebony on an instrument nowadays odds are its dyed, or they paid a lot of money for wood blanks that are predominately black (or they got lucky and got some predominately black examples). 

Is this guitar fake?

-No.

Icefish

So a quick search, it appears that some of the lower end LTDs were moved to Indo a couple yrs back but the 1000 series were, at that time still made in Korea, not sure about now though. 

Ebony is wood, there is variation in color, I have a M-400 with a rosewood fingerboard and its more of a reddish brown vs a true dark brown. My MH-1000 Deluxe has a few brown spots in the wood also and that too is ebony

Post to Thread