MH1000 set up issue?

Updated
Tom B.

Hi everyone. First time LTD owner and new forum member here. 

I was lucky enough to win an LTD MH1000 HS QM in a competition last month. This is the FR model with Seymour Duncan pickups - my first guitar with a double octave neck and locking trem. The guitar looks and sounds amazing, but I’ve been a little surprised that for a guitar that begs to be played fast, it feels more challenging to play than my others. 

Some of this I would put down to the scale length as I am used to playing my shorter length Strat, Tele and PRS 22, so I imagine I’ll need time to adjust to wider fret spacing. I do however find the strings tension and action feels higher than I would have expected (I believe the guitar came shipped with 9s but they feel like 10s) and playing legato above the 12th fret especially on the treble strings is hit and miss unless I really play with force. The guitar was professionally set up before delivery.

Appreciate this might be an impossible question to answer at a distance, but does it sound like this could be solved with another set up or is it more likely to be me that needs adjusting?!

Thanks. 

Icefish

Time for you to adjust to a longer scale neck. I have an Ibanez Iceman (Gibson scale) and two LTDs (Fender scale), the additional length adds extra tension and takes some time to get accustomed. 

Now I can switch back and forth between the longer and shorter scale guitars with no issue. 

Tom B.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll persevere for the time being. 

I was considering swapping the strings down to gauge 8 but I’ve never used these before and figured they might be a bit…floppy? And potentially more inclined to snap when yanking on the bar. 

Does anyone use 8s with Floyds?

Icefish

I use 10s on both fixed and trem'ed guitars. If you are gonna drop, maybe try the 9.5 or 9s. Ive gotten to the point even 9s feel thin to me. 

Thrash8315

I felt the same way until I took my MH-1001FR to a guitar tech. When I got it back, it was fast and easily the best guitar I ever had.

What did he do?

He lowered the nut.

Apparently, most guitar companies have their nut on the higher spectrum. This made a complete difference. 

Of course, I would never try this. Let the pros do it. It's worth every penny. 

I am at work. When I get back, I can give you the specs I use for my MH-1001FR. 

Tom B.

Thanks for your reply. 

After a few weeks of perseverance I took the guitar to my tech for a full set up. I’m not sure what type of witchcraft he used but it feels like a different guitar - it’s as slick as anything and the neck is so fast I can’t keep up with it. 

The compromise is a little buzz here and there, but nothing which comes through the amp unless played clean and even then, it isn’t really a problem if I use less attack. That said this isn’t really a guitar for playing clean. 

I’m off to dig out my Troy Stetina books. 

joe l.

hello

Post to Thread