My LTD Viper 301

Updated
My LTD Viper 301

Hey everybody, this is my old LTD Viper 301. A long time ago, I carved the edges to be sharper, re-painted it, changed it to string thru, changed the tuners to Sperzel, the hardware to chrome, and the pickups to chrome EMG 60s. Obviously I added the top, which is ceiling tiles! This guitar lives in C# standard or drop B. Awesome guitar has served me well for like 15 years! 

Thiago G.

Hey Leo! Nice guitar!

I recently bought a Viper 301.

It came with only a bridge pickup, which is a Malagoli Zonda (basically a passive copy of the EMG81 well suited for Alder strats). This thing is BASSY. Too muddy, I hate it.

What pickup combination would be more suited for this guitar? Passives.

Also, what Sperzel tuners did you get? Did you need to drill anything?

You still got the stock nut? Any issues with the bridge or you just wanted a different color? 

Thank you!

Thiago G.

oh, also what string gauge are you using?

Leonardo B.

The world of passive pickups is huge. I'm partial to Duncan over Dimarzio. I have a Gibson V with a Black Winter in the bridge and a Custom 5 in the neck. But there are so many options. The Custom 5 istelf is a nice bright crunchy pickup. I love a Pearly Gates or something like a 59 in the neck. But man there are so many options. 

Sperzel Trim Lok tuners need a little hole drilled for a pin, but the EZ mount does not have that pin.

This guitar still has the stock nut. Not a favorite material but it hasn't given me problems, so im ok with it. 

String gagues have changes through the years, I believe now I have a set of Beefy Slinkys on it. I'm not sure on that as this guitar is semi retired. 

liam f.

i recently bought a cherry red viper 301 and im trying to figure out how much it is worth but i cant find the price anywhere 

michael m.

I can't find a single Viper-301 for sale on the web as well!

Post to Thread