push pull tone pot issue

Updated
Jacob F.

Just installed a SD Whole Lotta Bridge pickup. Got the wiring correct, I'm sure, and looked carefully for any damage to coil split pot. The humbucker works fine but when I pull to coil split, pickups go silent. Any suggestions on what I might look for as the problem?

William M.

Did you use the original push pull split pot or a replacement?

I just installed an SD Pearly Gates Humbucker in the bridge position on my ec256 that I’m setting up for slide. Once I got into it I decided to replace the pots using the original wiring. I had to ream the openings to 3/8” to accommodate the pots with a ten dollar reamer that I bought on amazon, piece of cake! I used SD 500k pots for volume and a Bourn push/pull short shaft for tone, that one was tight but it works and I used an orange drop 22 capacitor. I just followed the original wiring as I replaced the pots one by one and it sounds great, I highly recommended switching everything out. Next will be the toggle switch and jack.

good luck!

Jacob F.

Thanks for reply. I used the original. I had just installed a pearly gates neck about a month ago and everything worked fine. Not sure what in the switch would be dysfunctional to allow for humbuckers but not coil split. The middle poles are grounded, connections appear all in order. Just dead when coil splitting, which worked after I did the neck pup replacement. Puzzled. I was thinking of just replacing the pot entirely, but wanted to see if there was a way to troubleshoot first.

Jacob F.

By the way, the PG neck is great and the WL bridge enhances the B and E strings as advertised. Whole instrument is a harmonic beast. I've also changed the nut to Tusq graphite and Grover locking tuners previously. Happy with SD pickups, but would like to keep coil split option.

Post to Thread