Nut replacemento for EC-256

Updated
Geraldo F.

Hi guys,

This is probably a no-brainer, but I just can't find straight forward information on what is the graphtec nut replacement for the EC-256. On Stewmac's site I could only find slotted and unslotted nuts "for Fender" and "for Gibson".

Any hints? Thanks.

Thrash8315

You can get a blank Graphtec nut and have a luthier shape and install it. 

Geraldo F.
Thrash8315 wrote:

You can get a blank Graphtec nut and have a luthier shape and install it. 

Thanks Thrash, but that's the kind of cost I was trying to avoid... ;-)

Jacob F.

The Tusq 6642 graphite fits perfectly. No sanding or shaping needed. Literally perfect fit. String spacing is accurate and height is correct.

Geraldo F.

Thank you Jacob. Gonna give it a try

Regards

M M.

Hey Geraldo,

I am purchasing this nut for my EC-256 and it should be here in a few days.  I am curious if you ever purchased and installed this and what you think about it.   Did it need any adjustments or reshaping?   Was it as simple as Jacob states.   (I trust you Jacob, but just wanted to hear from someone who took the advice)

Thanks

M M.

Do not purchase the 6642 as it will be too low.   Purchase the TUSQ 6143.  This will give you enough height to work with and you will need to sand down the sides just a bit, but it is a much easier and proper install than the 6642.

Geraldo F.

Hi MM. I ended up asking a luthier to intsall it for me, so I don'

Geraldo F.

Hi MM. I actually ended up asking a luthier to intsall the 6143 it for me. You are right, the 6642 would be too low.

Thrash8315

It's been a month. What are your thoughts on the new TUSQ nut?

Geraldo F.

I wouldn't be able to give an opinion on the impact the nut had on the tone, since i also had the factory pickups upgraded to a SD JB and a PAF-Pro at the same time.

But with the factory nut I had a persistent tuning problem on the G string, and that is gone now. Couldn't be happier.

j c.

So ..I'd like to drop a brass nut onto my 256... anyone have a product number for that? 

Ps...love my EC's 

Funguz

Is this the proper TusQ nut for the EC-256? Looks like the exact one you guys were discussing. I just want to make sure before I make the purchase.

https://graphtech.com/products/6143-black-tusq-xl-nut-acoustic-electric-43mm

goldqian r.

The three-piece neck of the EC-256 electric guitar is made of solid mahogany, and a rosewood fretboard is attached to it. 
lolbeans

Mathias G.

I just recently replaced my EC-256 original nut with the 6143 Graph Tech to find out - at least on a 2022 model (bought in EU) - it is plain wrong.
The right nut is indeed the 6642!

The 6143 got 0,5mm more spring spacing and it's at least 0,4mm too high. While it works (!) theres less place to the sides of the fretboard (<3,6mm). I could lower the bass slots to healthy 0,5mm, but the higher ones required serious filing as well... to the point where i messed up, and they just got sticky again even with generous filing.

The 6642 nut was the way to go and required just a tiny amount of sanding to even out the bottom. (as seen in picture).

Fun Fact: While on US boards people see the nut replacement as almost mandatory, in my city not a single luthier thought it being necessary. "It's good enough", they told me and talked me out of it every time. After changing i really found the new one way better in quality, flexibility (intelligent pre-slots) and using an exotic "string butler" and a roller bridge it's smooth af.

Post to Thread