Ec-256 for modding?

Updated
Kim L.

hi

i thinking of getting a ltd ec-256 for a mod project but i Wonder if the guitar are worth upgrading?

i mean how is the built quality,the wood and neck ?

I thinking of replace almost everything just for fun like:

tuners

pickups

nut

electronics

maybe the bridge,how is the stock bridge quality?

would the upgrades make a good guitar or is it just putting lipstick on a pig?

I am well aware that i properbly can get a better guitar for the money of the upgrades,but then i can’t mod it since it will fall in price not being original. The 256 is cheap so it does not matter.

Allan B.

I don't own a 256 but I've played several.  They are pretty solid construction for the money and when set up decent play pretty good.   The only major difference in the body between the 256 and the 401 or 1000 is the neck joint on the newer 401 and 1000 have the comfort carve where the 256 is more like a LP.  256 and 401 have rosewood or pf fingerboards and the 1000 has the ebony option.

Just be aware that as the line moves up they do add some third party parts that you might already be considering.  It would stink for you to get a 256 and put in EMG's and Grover Tuners and throw in a Tone Pros bridge for an extra 700 bucks on top only to find out that's basically what the EC-1000 is but without the resale value

Kim L.

Thanks..

You have a good point,but i already own a schecter Hellraiser c1 with emg,so i want to have a second guitar with passive pickups to get some diversity.I love the design of the ec series.And it is fun to upgrade just to my liking.The 401 and 1000 series also have emg which i do not need..are there older models of 401 with passive pickups?the neck joint carve is nice to have..

Ross K.

I am 4 years late here to this post but I had an EC 256 and installed SD Black Winter pickups and Sperzel locking tuners and installed a GraphTech Tusq XL nut..it was a great overall guitar.

Post to Thread