LTD ec-256 fm finish

Updated
LTD ec-256 fm finish

Hi everyone.  New member here.  Not sure if this is the right place to post this.  So you see I received my new guitar last Saturday.  It is an ltd ec-256 fm in dark brown sunburst.  The guitar looks great, and feels great.  I really love the quality especially the fast playing neck.  Pickups are okay, though I might replace them in the future. Unfortunately it was damaged in transit.  We've already contacted the carrier and everything will be fine and we get some sort of amount to cover for the damage.

The damage is a crack on the finish just between the control cavity and the jack plate. There's some paint chipped off and now I can see (and touch) the wood!  Like the size of two grains of rice.  To the left of the chip, there is a crack going about an inch towards the cavity.  You can see in the picture:

ltd ec-256 damage

Is there any way to fix that without going through a full body refinish job?  You can lift the cracked part and can see the wood under it.  I plan to super glue that part (is that okay?) and for the chip, any idea how to fix that?  Maybe melt the finish?  Any help and suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Pushead

I'm not sure I'd use superglue to hold down part of the finish. I don't have a lot of experience with refinishing, so I'd suggest taking it to a reputable guitar tech in your area to get a better idea.

In my case, I'd just find a fingernail polish that's approximately the right shade and fill in the chipped out area (luckily Mrs. Headington has at least 400 bottles of nail polish). But I'm sure you'd like something a bit nicer than that on your otherwise shiny new guitar.

jv m

Lol sorry for the bad pic quality. I just realized after you zoomed the picture. xD  So nail polish works?  Wow thanks @Pushead, I'll research more on that.  But will it harden same as the original finish?

What happens if I use superglue on the crack?  Will it damage the wood and finish around it?

Pushead

I'm sure superglue would work to keep it on, but I'm not sure how it would affect trying to put a new finish on over the wood.

Yeah, nail polish works the same as any other touch-up paint I've tried. I end up using two or three light coats to built it up to around the same height as the rest of the finish, then some rubbing compound to polish the area.

jv m

Cool.  So about two or three coats til level with orig finish, let dry before each next coat I presume? Then scrape/fine sand and buff out to polish.  Got it. Thanks Pushead!

I was thinking about melting the cracked finish but esp replied to my email saying that ltd guitars have polyurethane based finish.  Not sure if I can melt that.

Post to Thread