Which DiMarzio Pickups for EC-256FM

Updated
Which DiMarzio Pickups for EC-256FM

Hey gang,

Long time reader, first-time poster.  I snagged an EC-256FM in See Through Black around last Christmas.  I'm definitely underwhelmed by the stock pickups in this guitar, so I've decided to try upgrading them with one of the following combos.  If any of you have tried these yourselves, I'd love to hear feedback.  My choices are as follows:

Neck

DiMarzio PAF Pro

DiMarzio H3 (Neck Humbucker from 1990 Fender HM Strat) - Described via DiMarzio Tech Support as "somewhat similar to an Evolution neck model (the Evo is a little quieter and brighter)".

Bridge

DiMarzio Tone Zone

DiMarzio Super 3

Ultimately, I'll be replacing these with a Fishman Fluence Classic Open Core Zebra set, but that's at least a year out since I have crap tons of saving to do for other stuff beforehand.

Yes, I know I can "just pop each one in and see which you like better," but that's a giant pain in the butt to me, so if I can at least get a feel for which set will LIKELY sound better in this slab of mahogany, that would really help out.  My gut is telling me the Super 3 and H1 out of the Fender HM Strat would be the best place to start since I THINK that they may be slightly brighter in a darker tone wood like mahogany, but if someone has actually dropped any of these in, I'd love to hear about it.  

Thanks,

Jeff in Houston

Allan B.

That's a tough one.  Any tone related questions are always going to get subjective answers based on my ears vs your ears, my amp vs your amp etc.  What I think sounds muddy, someone else may think sounds amazing.  If you really want Fishman then just wait a little longer and get them, or check out zZounds,com and get them on an ez pay plan over 3 months - no interest.  https://www.zzounds.com/item--FSMCOC6?siid=241932

My 2 Cents

SliderJeff

Thanks, Allan.  I agree that it's all very subjective.  I guess even knowing if this particular guitar is considered "dark" because of the mahogany or "bright" because of the maple cap, would likely help me pick a particular pickup combo that I currently have.  I've got several other guitars that I am looking to upgrade the pickups on before this one, hence the reason why I am looking to just pop something I have already in-house into this particular LP-like guitar.  

Thanks,
Jeff

Allan B.

I hear ya (pun intended!).  I was similarly searching YouTube because I had read a lot of people complaining about the EC1000 with EMG and how muddy it sounded, so I wanted to hear for myself before I bought one.  I found a few vids on there with various Eclipse models with different pickups so you might want to check that out if you haven't already. 

jt76

the maple is a veneer not a cap.  consider it a mahogany guitar.

i like the following sets in mahogany.

want it to sound like a les paul, 

paf 36th   neck

super distortion bridge

want it to have awesome cleans and scooped distortion. 

wilde l500 l neck

wilde l500lx bridge

not to concerned about pristine cleans, want a nice tight hard rock to thrash sound in both positions.  

jb  neck

sh5 bridge

modern sounding, a bit dark, but not muddy

duncan distortions both positions.

evolutions are really fun.

but they are not very versitile.

they sound like Emg 81s but are more expressive.

Ivas B.

Si buscas registros públicos completos y precisos, ¡echa un vistazo a Radaris! Con más de una década de experiencia, Radaris es la fuente líder para investigadores que necesitan información detallada. A diferencia de otros motores de búsqueda, Radaris (https://radaris.es/p/Paula/Canovas/) va más allá al proporcionar perfiles gratuitos que agregan fácilmente registros públicos, medios sociales y menciones en línea. En unos pocos clics, tendrás información completa sobre cualquier persona del país. No te conformes con menos cuando se trate de registros públicos: elige Radaris para obtener resultados inigualables. En lo que a mí respecta, ¡es bien merecido!

Post to Thread