401 vs 1000 - Age Old Question

Updated
AJB1965

Hello there,

I am buying myself a birthday present today.  I have 3 LTD Eclipses in my cart (no I can't afford all three lol) and I can't decide which one I like best.

I am not looking to gig, and the guitar will be mainly used for recording but I am spoiled having only owned higher end guitars (PRS CE24, American Strat, Carvin etc).  I currently have a Pro Series Jackson Dinky which is my main guitar, but I need something with thicker tone for chunky rhythm and some solid but aggressive clean.

In my cart are:

EC-401 - Black

EC-1000 VB w EMG

EC-1000T CTM - customer return (probably least favorite but it's a good deal)

All three are 2018 models and made in Indonesia.  A couple of years ago I would have picked the 1000 over the 401 hands down because they were made in Korea, and WMIC is an exceptional builder.  Now that they are all made in Indo, I'm concerned about the quality of the 1000.  If it's now fundamentally the same guitar built by the same people, only with locking tuners and TonePros bridge, I don't see the advantage for myself.  If they are indeed built to a higher standard, then I can still justify the extra money.

Anyone have experience with the newer 1000's and if so could you tell me how they compare to the 401 these days?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered over and over again.  I searched and the question was posed years ago here, but the game has changed a bit since then.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

AJB

Rodney A.

If it isn't to late which most likely is the ec 1000

Slartibartfarst42

Ironically, I've had a few PRS SE Custom 24 guitars because the build quality is exceptional, but I recently changed to an LTD M-1000 E. Like you I was hesitant because the newer PRS guitars made in Indonesia aren't as good as the Korean versions and from what I can gather, LTD is much the same. As it happens, I fell very lucky with mine as I found a dealer with a brand new M-1000 in stock in the current specification but made in Korea. I assume it must have been one of the last ones but I actually found a couple of dealers with Korean made, current specification 1000 series guitars so I think it is worth asking the dealer. I can't speak about the Indonesian versions but mine is excellent and I would put it on a par with my PRS for build quality. I never thought about going lower than a 1000 because I was certain I would then notice a drop in quality, and in my case, I wanted a Floyd 1000 bridge so it had to be a 1000 series LTD. I was actually all set to buy a Pro Dinky as they're beautiful guitars but I find the current colours to be awful and that's why I switched to LTD. The 1000 series seems to be at least as well built as a Pro Dinky.

Post to Thread