MH-250 vs M-330R?

Updated
Rafael G.

I have a MH-250 which I like, but there's a possibility to pick up a M-330R which has Mahogany body, active ESP pups and a Floyd Rose Licensed bridge. The downside is that there's no maple top, the paint is not as cool, the neck is bolted and not thru, and it looks like it is made in China...

What do you think?

Cogan C.

Can you play it in person before you consider buying it? If not, maybe buying it isn't a good idea. That being said, I've bought a few LTDs online and had no problem with them beyond just adjusting the action and maybe a little cleaning. Being manufactured in China doesn't really make any difference over the Indonesia and Vietnam plants- there really isn't that much a difference in build quality. Sure, the Korean plant does a great job, but they also come at a higher price. ESP also stated that they were shifting some of the models from the Korean plant over to the others as they stated the build quality for the others is the same now. If it were me, I'd wanna play it first, get hand's on. But if I absolutely wanted it and the price was good, I'd probably buy it online.

Rafael G.

Will try to play the guitar, it is used.

Spec wise, do you think it would be an upgrade?

Cogan C.

I don't really know too much about either, but they seem to be on-par with each other unless you plan on swapping out the pickups on the M-330R. I think the main difference relies in the set-through neck and the bolt-on. You will get different tones and sustain between them but that's about it. I have both with bolt-on LTDs and set-through necks of the E-II and original Horizon series. There's subtle tonal differences between them and more so when different pickups come into play. None of them are 'better' than the others, it's just about the tone you're looking for. There's pros and cons for each but that's what makes them awesome.  

Pushead

If you don't like that many things about the guitar, why would you be considering it?

Rafael G.

Because of the never ending desire to upgrade gear

Pushead

That's really not much of an upgrade.

If you're doing fine with the MH you already have, save for a bit longer and get to the 400 or 1000 level guitar. You'll notice a bigger difference, then.

Rafael G.

Will search for one, thanks man!

Post to Thread