LTD EC-256 Lower Action = Fret Buzz

Updated
Peter S.

Hey Everyone,

I just received my new Snow White LTD EC-256 ( Made in Indonesia ) to learn with and gave it to an experienced player to setup.

He came back and said he cannot lower the action without causing fret buzz and suggested maybe replacing the nut for a lower one.

It was also suggested that I change the tuning heads as its not staying in tune.

I am disappointed now but will try and make the changes suggested. I know I should have saved more and bought a better guitar!!!

Can anyone suggest or advise on decent tuning heads and a nut that would fit onto this guitar without modification.

I'm in Europe so will need to buy the parts here ideally.

Thanks in advance.

Pushead

The tuning machines might need to be replaced, but everything else can be worked out by a competent technician/luthier. You'll likely need the frets leveled and reshaped. The slots in the nut can be adjusted at the same time.

Without meaning to offend your experienced player friend, he might not have the skills necessary to get the guitar playing it's best.

Peter S.

Thanks for replying Pushead.

Is leveling frets a big job? This is a new guitar and maybe I should just send it back even though I like it a lot.

My friend is not a luthier, but he did say it may be uneven frets.

My first electric guitar and already disappointed :-(  Haha I was warned to buy a Yamaha Pacifica. 

Pushead

It's not a big job, but if you're not very experienced with tools, I'd have someone else do it. Especially since you would probably need to buy the fret file.

I suppose it's up to you as to how low you want the action to be vs how low your guitar can handle at the moment. I'd still take it in to have someone "professional" look at it.

And if you don't think you'd have similar problems with the Yamaha (or any other guitar in that price range), you're fooling yourself.

Gerard  B.

Did you have any imperfections on your ec-256 when you got it?  Like imperfections in finish or even chip in paint. Because I got mine with chip paint and scratches in paint. Brand new by the way. It is made in Vietnam 

Peter S.

Hi Gerard,

No my EC-256 was fine paint wise, no chips either. Mine was built in Indonesia.

Just low E sometimes comes off the fret board and there is some fret buzz but that may be my technique, or lack of :-).

Gerard  B.

Thanks Peter, I wonder why it has those problems. Is it from the factory or from other people who tried out the guitar at the music shop? I think it is those people. By the way thank you again for the reply.

Kevin B.

Gerard B,

If you buy a Guitar at a music shop, check the guitar out thoroughly, most likely hundreds of others had grabbed it and played it, just like at Guitar Center all the Guitars are out for anyone to mess with and damage happens all the time. most get Belt Buckle scratches and surface scratches from dirty hands and arms. it's buyer beware.

Nuno Doellinger

Hi all,

I saw this forum and i was very interested because i want to buy a new EC-256. I have an ESP Horizon with seymour Duncan, and my objective is to use those Pickups in one Les Paul style guitars. I don't want to spend a lot of money since i already have good HW to install. So i was looking in a new EC-256 with new colour, exclusive from Thomann. Maybe ESP could answer this. Is possible wo new in wich factory these exclusive models will be made? I'm not happy with models made in China, since i already had some issues with it. I have a friend with one EC-256 made in Vietnam and it is almost perfect. Since i saw that some EC-256 models were made in China, i amd sure if these new models will also be made in China.

Thank you in advance

Dan M

I brought a 2018 ec256 and mine is made in Indonesia.

Post to Thread