Ec256 Volume

Updated
Mike p.

Hey All,

New to the forum and to ESP/LTD! I have an EC 256 and have a question about the volume controls. On mine, when both pickups are selected, either volume knob turned all the way will completely cut the volume. For instance, if both are selected, just turning down the neck volume acts like a master volume. Same with the bridge vol. is this normal? Thanks for any help.

InVase

I have a Gibson Les Paul studio that is that way.   

Pushead

Yes, that's normal. If you're comfortable soldering, it's easily changed so that each volume will only control that pickup when in the center position.

Mike p.

Thanks InVase and Pushead! On one hand, I like being able mute the two pickups with one knob, but I would also like to control the volume independently, and blend the pickups. Either way, I’d love to know how that’s done. Do you know if, stock, each volume is independent, but then when almost completely down, they do the master volume thing? Or do the both just control the overall volume?

Pushead

They both control the overall volume.

The simple way to change from a master volume to independent volumes is to swap the wires on the volume pots. Each volume pot has 3 lugs, one is bent and soldered to the top of the pot. Stock, the center lug gets the connection to the pickup switch, and the bottom lug gets the feed from the pickup (or vice versa, I can't remember). Just swap the two wires and you'll have independent control.

Mike p.

Hey Pushead, I forgot to say thank you, so I'll say it now. Thank you for the instructions - I think I might rewire it that way.

Pushead

No problem, man. Good luck!

Post to Thread