ESP LTD Skolnick AS-1SSB Pickup Question

Updated
ElectricPhase

I own (and love) a lemonbust LTD Skolnick.  I've been trying to get a silverburst to match it, but it isn't going well.  I had a retailer ship a used AS-1SSB to my local store. It was supposed to be unscratched and minty, but it arrived beat up and with some kind of EMG pickups installed.  I'm giving the retailer a second chance, since they have another one in their inventory.  The weird part, is it appears to have the exact same EMGs in it?!

My understanding is that the LTD Skolnick always had passive Seymour Duncans: '59 neck and JB bridge.

Am I mistaken, or have I just had terrible luck and encountered two silverbursts that were emasculated with the exact same junk pickups?

Pushead

Should come with chrome covered SH-1 and SH-4 set.

The 2015 catalog shows no signs of EMGs with either the ESP model or the LTD model. Did they perhaps send an EC-1000 in silver burst? Those would come stock with EMGs.

ElectricPhase

Thanks for the reply!

Both guitars are definitely the AS-1SSB model with the abalone blocks and no model designation at the twelfth fret. The beat up one was missing the 'AS' truss rod cover, but the one I have inbound has it.

Both appear to have the EMG 57/66 set (or possibly the Hetfield sig one) with the chrome covers.....and I'm probably being unfair calling them junk pickups.  I just haven't had good luck with actives.

Pushead

57/66 definitely sound more passive than the 81 set, but if you're looking for the sound of a JB, you'll probably still be disappointed. I'd say give them a shot when it gets to the store and see what you think.

ElectricPhase

I really like the way Alex did the specs for the guitar as built.  The 59/JB with the push/pull split matches my playing like a glove. 

I'll definitely give the one I have on order a fair shot. For one thing, the silverburst finish is getting a bit hard to find. Maybe I can sell the EMG set and restore the guitar to the original setup if the rest of the guitar seems worth the trouble.

Dave R.
ElectricPhase wrote:

For one thing, the silverburst finish is getting a bit hard to find.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9306-alex-skolnick?category_id=1964640-guitar-clearance

ElectricPhase

With respect, we're talking about a ~ $1000 LTD guitar in the LTD section.  Why post a link to a ~ $5000 one?

Post to Thread