M-50 Service shows twisted neck

Updated
M-50 Service shows twisted neck

Took in two LTD guitars for complete service: LTD - MH-350NT & a M-50 (satin blue).

The MH-350NT came up wonderfully hower the cheap M-50 was diagnosed with a twist in the neck which was disappointing as I'm very fond of the guitar.

Will give time to see how this plays out, almost considering searching for a replacement neck however which could be interesting when I checked the Specs at ESP as seems if I'm correct there are a few other models with compatible necks.

Pushead

That's a shame to hear. The cost of repairing the neck is probably as much as buying a new neck. And buying a new neck (from Warmoth or similar) is nearly as expensive as just buying a new M-50.

I'd probably be on the lookout for another M-50 or even M-100 on eBay/Reverb/Craigslist and see if I can salvage some parts.

Anthony "Tony" M.

Hey Pushead, thanks for your reply. Yeah the M-50 is a cheap but decent guitar, so any major repairs will be  expensive for what I paid for it. 

Have been looking for other M-50's and came across a black M-50fr which is a upgrade with a Floyd Rose locking bridge. The more looking I do the more inclined I am to buy something better. This easily turns into an obsession 

I've played my guitar and the guys did a nice job setting it up, it's very playable. I don't think they would have set it up and serviced if this "Twist" was too bad.

If I can play it happily and as I find Intonation is spot on this gives me time to find another neck.

I'm in Australia, paid AUD$290 two years ago for the M-50 which was very cheap for brand new. $145 for complete service last week, darn it.

Seems how you store your guitars is the point here. I felt it was fine to leave sitting on its stand, but obviously not. Have bought a hardcase to keep any future guitar in as this is a well regarded way of storing out of the elements. 

Will keep you posted as to what I decide to do.

Big Daddy B

Some of my guitars have twists in the neck. It can sound scarier than it sometimes is. If it is not severe, a bridge adjustment can sometimes compensate or a more extreme  treatment, a tech can put it in a jig and then plane the frets. Generally it's not that cheap, usually $100-$200 here in the states. If you really love the guitar might be worth it.

Pushead

Yeah, I agree with Big Daddy. It sounds like it isn't a horrible twist. If it was overcome with a setup and whatever else your tech did, I'd keep it as-is until it becomes an issue.

There's nothing wrong with budget friendly guitars! I played for almost 6 years before I even had a second guitar, and nearly 8 years before I bought a guitar that was over $400.

Kjetil (GRIM) Remen

I picked up a 2008 M-200FR for $129 at a pawn shop in Texas last year. It is so awesome top play. Tried out a few others sins that, but I keep coming back to that one.

Anthony "Tony" M.

"Some of my guitars have twists in the neck. It can sound scarier than it sometimes is."

Yeah, now have done some research the degree of twist is what matters.

So the guys are a Father /Son team of luthiers who setup guitars for local and visiting acts. My eyesight isn't trained well enough to look down neck from the nut and see a twist, but have spent awhile with a flat edge and a level, plus playing to learn the low E string is a little higher than the rest. The guys putting new strings, adjusting Intonation, spent a couple of hours using the bridge string blocks to adjust  height of strings trying to find  sweet spot we're playability is best. 

Thanks guys for your feedback. I feel a lot more confident to get this of my mind and just play without worrying, cheers. Tony from Aus.

Post to Thread