• Slatanic.

Post your Cult 86!!!

This will be happening soon!  

• Slatanic.

Just arrived 

• Slatanic.

#63 W/COA signed by Vernon Reid

• Larry K.

i don't know how u upload full resolution...it says CULT86...am i #86???

• Slatanic.

Yes! You got #86!!

That's cool man!!!

You have to upload your pics on image hosting site like "imgr"

Copy and paste your image location to; mountian and sun icon/manage image/image details/URL/insert image

Email to me: slatanic76@gmail.com

I'll post it up if you want

• Slatanic.

Heres mine

• Stephane M.

Received today at last. # 59. Love it. Magic graphic signature. Never ever expected to own and play this guitar one day. 

• Larry K.

Couple of musings now that I'm settling in to the new axe:

Have you noticed that each of our guitars has a unique paintjob? I was thinking it would be a photo finish but every one I've seen online has a slightly different swirl pattern. So cool! How did they do it?

if you don't follow Vernon Reid on twitter, he said he would personalize your COA (or guitar!) if you bring it to a Living Colour show.

A cool side effect of this is, after 30 years I have finally taught myself to solidly play Cult of Personality! The riff leading up to the chorus always baffled me but it finally clicked, as I have been expectedly revisiting a lot of LC music and wanted to do that song justice on the Cult '86. Natch.

It's been years since I bought a new guitar. My main axe (my baby) is a 91 or 92 Fender Strat Ultra. Is it just me or is The fretboard on the Cult 86 fucking amazing? I think it makes me play better. Maybe it's the huge frets?

I must admit there is a problem with the neck. At the 2nd fret right where the thumb rests, there is a slight "wiggle" or "wobble" I dont know how to describe it. It's very subtle but it is definitely there. A slight warp in the finish or something. If you look at light reflection in the neck you see a lil area where it is not perfectly flat, like an ever-so-slightly detectable ridge. I can feel it as my thumb moves around. I wonder if it can be buffed out.

Now it's broken in, I installed a dimarzio straplock on it and took all the plastics off. I already sweated all over it and banged it into the desk once. 100% satisfied. 

• Stephane M.

Larry, same observation for me. The top of the neck at the 2nd fret is not perfectly flat. I can feel it's not even when my thumb slides there.

Also the finish behind the neck is much different than what you see on the esp page. More white than green. I wonder if it is the case for all Cult 86s.

• Larry K.

yeah, just like the bodies, each neck has its own unique paintjob. some ae heavily swirled like yours, others have a lot more green

• Slatanic.
      Larry K. wrote:

Couple of musings now that I'm settling in to the new axe:

Have you noticed that each of our guitars has a unique paintjob? I was thinking it would be a photo finish but every one I've seen online has a slightly different swirl pattern. So cool! How did they do it?

if you don't follow Vernon Reid on twitter, he said he would personalize your COA (or guitar!) if you bring it to a Living Colour show.

A cool side effect of this is, after 30 years I have finally taught myself to solidly play Cult of Personality! The riff leading up to the chorus always baffled me but it finally clicked, as I have been expectedly revisiting a lot of LC music and wanted to do that song justice on the Cult '86. Natch.

It's been years since I bought a new guitar. My main axe (my baby) is a 91 or 92 Fender Strat Ultra. Is it just me or is The fretboard on the Cult 86 fucking amazing? I think it makes me play better. Maybe it's the huge frets?

I must admit there is a problem with the neck. At the 2nd fret right where the thumb rests, there is a slight "wiggle" or "wobble" I dont know how to describe it. It's very subtle but it is definitely there. A slight warp in the finish or something. If you look at light reflection in the neck you see a lil area where it is not perfectly flat, like an ever-so-slightly detectable ridge. I can feel it as my thumb moves around. I wonder if it can be buffed out.

Now it's broken in, I installed a dimarzio straplock on it and took all the plastics off. I already sweated all over it and banged it into the desk once. 100% satisfied. 

Is it the white binding? I have a SLIGHT amount at the 12th fret area, hardly noticeable 

• Larry K.

No it's not the binding, it's on the neck.  If you laid your guitar face down and placed a watch face about halfway btwn where 1st and 2nd fret would be, with 12 o'clock pointing to the top of the headstock...There is an inconsistency at 3 o'clock.  If you rub your hand or finger up and down a neck you should feel a smoothness from top to bottom and all around.  Here, there is a lil wavy area about an inch long and 1/2 inch wide.  You can barely see it.  But you feel it.  Like it got sanded a wee bit too much right in that spot or something. 

• Slatanic.

The Mirage and Cult 86 

• Stephane M.

@ Larry. Yes. There is with other categories of guitars. I also have a ESP Horizon Fr Black (made in Japan). The finish, details, fretboard, etc. is just extraordinary. Simply perfect in any way. The difference in price (x 1.5 roughly) is not huge but the the jump in quality is obvious.

The inconsistency you mentioned about the Cult 86 goes from the 2nd to the 6th fret. It's not really annoying, and hopefully I will get used to it.

• Bryan

Number 76 checking in!

• larry

Cult '86 #09 checking in...

• Bryan

They are all slightly different, aren't they?

Cancel