EC1000 Vintage Black hardware changes

Updated
Tom C.

I've noticed some subtle hardware changes over the years in the lineups, and I was curious of a good resource, or if someone could just tell me what is what

I am curious of the hardware changes in years past of the EC1000. I have a 2010 model EC1000 Vintage black, and if I remember correctly the hardware isn't like it is today. I thought I remembered it having EMG 81 / 85 combo, and a graphtech nut, as well as the Grotoh hardware and Tonepros locking tailpiece. Am I correct in remembering those specs?

Are there any advantages to the modern day hardware they are using? I know I don't want a molded nut, as the graphtech has been nothing short of awesome, but anything else I should desire after? And when I say desire after, I meant "purchase a newer model" not upgrade my baby! lol I did just purchase the EC1001FR in see through black with the BBC hardware, so that should be a nice rig too, but I am not against getting another. I actually am in the process of selling my Japanese ESP Eclipse E-II because quite frankly, while a great guitar, I prefer the feel and use of my LTD's (is that bad? The LTD's come setup better it feels as well)

Pushead

I'm not a fan of the compensated nut, but other than that, there really hasn't been a change in the hardware between 2010 and today. Still the ESP/LTD branded tuners, still the Tonepros bridge and stop-bar still the EMG or Duncans...

If you wanted another one and could make use of it, there's the EC-1000p which has a piezo built into the bridge, which is kind of cool.

Tom C.

One of the things that seems different to me, and I could be wrong, but I thought my Vintage Black has the EMG 81 / 85 pups, where the newer models have the 81/60 combo. In all honesty, I would personally prefer a bone nut, but the graphtech that came stock in the one I have now has caused me no problems, and it stays in tune pretty well. 

I saw those Piezo models and it piqued my interest, but I am not sure I could / would utilize it other than messing around with it.

Pushead

What color is the EMG logo on yours? Blue would be a 60, gold is (probably) an 85.  (The 60a is also gold, but you don't see many of them.)

Tom C.

I am pretty sure it is gold. I will check when I get home, but I could swear it's gold. Thanks for the info, I guess I didn't realize they changed the colors of lettering to match whatever it was. That is some good info. I don't get TOO deep into hardware and how to identify certain pieces, but I know enough to be dangerous and know what sounds I want. lol

Thanks again, man!

Big Daddy B

I am pretty sure it is gold. I will check when I get home, but I could swear it's gold. Thanks for the info, I guess I didn't realize they changed the colors of lettering to match whatever it was. That is some good info. 

I also have an EMG H with a white logo and an EMG 89 with a copper logo

Tom C.

I didn't get a chance to check, I forgot I am having the neck adjusted, but should have it back today. I also have been saying Graphtech nut, which is totally wrong, I was thinking about something else completely, I meant that the nut on mine is the Earvana Compensated nut (which was mentioned in the first reply to me :-) )

What is the big difference in the compensated nut? Is there an advantage? I know it's a love / hate type thing, you're either one or the other.

On a side note, I got my EC-1001 FR in See-through Black yesterday with Brushed Black Chrome hardware, and I absolutely love that thing.. It's pretty wicked sounding. I am not sure if it's the different wood or what, but it's a little thicker sounding than my current Vintage Black EC-1000. I LOVE the VB still, but this thing just feels like it has more balls.

Post to Thread