Pickups for PRACTICE SOLID STATE amp

Updated
Dantré B.

I have a LTD with LH-150 pickups. They sound good for me, but... it will get a real improvement if I swap it for a Seymoud Duncan Distortion/Jazz?

I use a  Yamaha THR10X and I'm not plannig to change it. 

Thanks!

Pushead

The LH-150 pickups are fairly decent for "stock" hardware.  I'm sure you would notice a difference with the Duncans, but I don't know how drastic the change would be.  The thing to remember is that changing the pickups probably wouldn't add much value to the guitar if you decide to sell it.

Dantré B.

Thanks for the reply!! This "it's good for a stock pickup" thing bothers me... I'm always hearing it... sounds like: "if ompared to rubbish, it's not that bad, but in itself it's not good". Hearing this makes me think about the duncans... But I also don't know how drastic the change would be, specially in my THR10X.

Pushead

Well, my only real experience with the LH-150 set was on a friends EC-256.  I thought the entire guitar was pretty nice, especially considering the price.  If it was a guitar I was going to use as my main guitar, the pickups would not be the first thing I'd change.

Ultimately, it's going to be around $200 for the pickups and installation (if you're having someone else do it.)  My usual suggestion in these situations is that the money might be better used in saving for an all-around better guitar.

It's a suggestion that's usually ignored. 

Dantré B.

I think my plan now will be this: I have a LTD EX-50, which is a very cheap, bolt-on, and a very aggressive guitar. The EC-256 has a better wood, set-thru neck and a more classic and sober shape. It's a cheap guitar too, but after that I believe that quality is much more of a cosmetic thing than anything else, it's something more psychological than concrete. I'll be fine with it. It would be nice to have different pickups on a second guitar. I'll need to buy them anyway. I could get them now, test in the EX-50, listen to how it will sound ... If it gets better, really better, I'll leave' em there and enjoy them while I'm saving money for the 256 project (which will have other pickups ... DiMarzios? Lol). If the change is not that much, I leave the EX with the ESP ones and save the SD for the future 256. One part of the project will already be paid. =D

Pushead

I'd say that's a reasonable plan, but let me offer this:

I've owned and played a lot of guitars.  Not to discount your experience, but I feel like there is a fairly significant jump in quality (both perceived and in included pieces) in the move to the 400 level LTD guitars.  I know the price difference between the 256 and the 401 is almost double, but there is a lot of value in the used market.  Though, I live in the U.S., and in an area where guitar choice is fairly plentiful.  I'll also say that I've played for nearly 30 years, so I might be more attuned to how I like a guitar to feel and play.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the pickups aren't the first thing I'd address in the EC-256, it would be the fretwork.  I'd have a level and re-crown done to the guitar and probably replace the nut at the same time.

As usual, it's advice worth nearly what you've paid for it.

Here's a pretty interesting (maybe only to me) video about the law of diminishing returns in guitars.  They're dealing in Gibson, but I think the concepts apply.

Dantré B.

Thank you!! I get it, there really is a jump. Yep, the price with all taxes and all is absurdly higher here in my country. I do not participate in my city and region of a "group of musicians", so it is difficult to have references; and my guitar is ... left-handed!!! LOL, trouble with used market, therefore.
The 256 will cost me U$728,17 (!!) and the 401 will cost U$1.151,46 (!!!!!). And this without counting the new pickups! It's hard, man...lol... Therefore, I have to evaluate very well how much each improvement of this jump is worth, because, you saw ...

Pushead

Ouch. Well good luck with your decision!  I don't think you can go wrong with the upgraded pickups, especially if you plan on getting a second guitar eventually.

Post to Thread