EC-1001FR Nut Action

Updated
EC-1001FR Nut Action

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just got an EC-1001FR. It was pretty good out of of the box except that the nut action is a bit high. It's about 1/32 from the bottom of the low E to the top of the first fret. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to handle this? Should the nut be ground down? I don't really want to take the shelf down. Any help is greatly appreciated

Pushead

That doesn't seem particularly high for the action over the 1st fret.  Is that with the strings completely open?

What does your relief look like?  What's the action at the 12th fret?

Jestremera

That's the height with a capo on the third fret. The action at the 12th fret is about 6/64" on the bass side

Pushead

You could probably drop the height on the bass side of the bridge 1/4 turn to dial in the action on the higher frets.

You could file the bottom of the nut, but I'd go with thinning the shelf of the nut. It's not going to need much.

Jestremera
Pushead wrote:

You could probably drop the height on the bass side of the bridge 1/4 turn to dial in the action on the higher frets.

You could file the bottom of the nut, but I'd go with thinning the shelf of the nut. It's not going to need much.

I'm more comfortable taking the nut down a bit than I am thinning the shelf. The nut's a lot easier to replace LOL

Post to Thread