Please help me wire this guitar

Updated
Braden M.

I picked up a Viper 200FM for 100 bucks from a guy who sold it cheap because he ripped the pickups out (HZ's) and couldn't put it back together. He ended up not selling the pickups like he intended so I have them as well. But I also don't know how to put it back together. I have solder/soldering iron and electrical tape I just can't seem to find a diagram that shows all the same colors of wires as what I have so it basically makes me wary of trying anything. I printed out SD's 2 humbucker, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way toggle diagram thinking it has to be basically the same but I'm still lost.

This is from the input jack:

Pot #1:

Pot #2: (black wire goes nowhere)

Pot #2 (different view)

Toggle switch. This has all the wires from one of the HZ's attached to it.

And this is from the other pickup.

Can anyone help a complete rookie out and just tell me where to solder all these things together? Much appreciated, if so. Thank you

tim t.

http://www.1728.org/guitar.htm

here a schematic and you will need a 9 volt battery connector, radio shack should have them.

Pushead

No 9V battery connector is needed.  The EMG HZ pickups are not active, they're passive.  What you will need is a capacitor of some sort to work with the tone pot.

Here's a better diagram to use for your project.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/2_x_humbuckers_4-wire___1_vol__1_tone__3-way_toggle__no_coil_switching_igwatermark.gif

With the EMG HZ pickups, the red wire is the "hot," the green and uncoated wire should be soldered together and connected to the ground, and the black and white wires should be soldered together and taped off.  Photos 5 & 6 are correct for this wiring.

Essentially, take the "hot" wire from each pickup (the red) to each of the outer connections on the switch (just like your last image.) Connect the red wire from the other pickup to the other outer ear of the switch.  The green and uncoated wires should be connected to the bottom connector, just like the first pickup.

In your photos, Pot 1 is actually the tone pot and Pot 2 is the volume.

From there, it's a bit confusing in your photos to know exactly where all of the wires are going.  Hopefully there is a white wire inside the thicker red wire is going to the two middle ears of the switch.  If it doesn't, I'd suggest removing the thicker red wire from photos 3 & 5 and the thicker green/black (difficult to tell from the 3rd picture) from the system and starting over with those connections.

In the end, you're going to want a "hot" wire running from the two center ears of the switch, and a ground wire from the bottom connector going to the volume pot.

The volume pot should be connected as such:

- bent over and soldered to the outer case, this is the ground, connect the ground wire from the switch, a ground wire to the top of the tone pot, and ground to the jack here.
POT - consider this the output of the system, the hot wire to the jack connects here
        - consider this the input of the system, the hot wire from the switch, and the connection to the tone pot connect here.

In the short term, since you're missing a capacitor for the tone pot, you can connect the pickup without putting any wires to the second pot (so only one wire from the switch would run to the bottom lug of the volume pot.)

Once you have a cap, you'd wire it:

- the connection from the bottom lug of the volume pot
POT - one end of the capacitor
        - nothing

the other end of the capacitor should be soldered to the top of the tone pot case.  Along with that, you'll want to run the wire from the top lug of the volume pot to the top of the tone pot.  This will keep the entire system grounded and reduce any buzzing you get from the setup.

One thing that seems to be missing from your photos is a single wire that comes from the bridge assembly of the guitar.  It would appear to be a single wire that comes out of a different hole in the control cavity.  If one is there, it also connects to the top lug of the volume pot.  Many people just wire all of those grounds to the top of the volume pot, as there isn't much room on the top lug to get all of those grounds connected.

Braden M.

Wow! Very detailed thank you so much!

There is a cap on pot #1 in the exact place you described it should be. And where it shows in the diagram, so i should be able to get this thing figured out completely now. 

I really, really appreciate it, thank you.

Pushead

No problem, man.  Good luck!

Richard C.

So i need help was working on my guitar and theirs a wire idk if it was connected to anything but I was wondering if any of y’all could help 

Post to Thread