R1 Nut on LTD ST203FR ?

Updated
OdgeUK

Hi Guys

Is it normal for these to have an R1 nut?

When I bought this guitar, used, the Floyd Rose Special knife edge on one side had slipped under the post lip and had been then pulled under tension against the threaded part of the post. I beleive this has knurled the knife edges somewhat. Also, one of the nut clamp threads is stripped, so I can't tighten a screw in there.

Initially, I bought a new OFR quality nut so I could at least start using it, and measured the neck width and concluded it was likley an R2 nut. When I took the old nut off though, I saw it had R1 stamped underneath it. When I look up R1 nuts, it seems to be very unusual and I can only find reference to it being used on a Kramer Nightswan guitar.

So anyway, I think I'm going to upgrade the whole damn thing with a Schaller Lockmeister, or maybe a Gotoh, but it seems you have to special order if you want it to have an R1 nut instead of the R2. Is there really much difference?

OdgeUK

The other issue I've been having is that the Nut Height seems very high (with the original and replacement nut). Fretting on the low-E at the 1st fret needs a very gentle touch, otherwise it will bend sharp over the jumbo frets. Other strings are fine though. This really has been a dog of a guitar, but I'm sticking with it as it's the best sounding Strat style guitar I've played, due in part I think to the retro fitted Dimarzio Super Distortion which by some fluke has turned out to complement this particular guitar perfectly for the sound I want. It's deifnitely my "Van Halen" guitar. I mean the fret dress is also terrible and the radius is flatter than I like as well, but when you get a guitar that sounds the way you want, it's a keeper!

Oh, and I REALLY like the way it looks. The relicing has been called 'cheesy' by some, but I think they did a pretty good job considering the price-point.

Mark M.

I owned one at one point it had a 42mm nut if u are not sure just buy the Locking nut not the whole system which is not needed you can find them on amazon or ebay im sure

The R1 Nut is Width: 1.5625" (39.70 mm)

The R3 Nut is designed for guitars with neck widths of 1-11/16" (42.90mm) and a 10" radius.

The R2 Nut is designed for guitars with neck widths of 1-5/8" (41.30mm) and a 10" radius.

OdgeUK
Mark M. wrote:

I owned one at one point it had a 42mm nut if u are not sure just buy the Locking nut not the whole system which is not needed you can find them on amazon or ebay im sure

The R1 Nut is Width: 1.5625" (39.70 mm)

The R3 Nut is designed for guitars with neck widths of 1-11/16" (42.90mm) and a 10" radius.

The R2 Nut is designed for guitars with neck widths of 1-5/8" (41.30mm) and a 10" radius.

Thanks Mark.

Yes, I agree, I've just measured the original nut and it's 42mm, give or take a micro-millimetre. Confusing then that the original has R-1 stamped on it:

The top nut is the Floyd R2 replacement that I've just installed. Both nuts seem to measure exactly the same, including string spacing.

Swapped it out now so I can clamp the strings properly, but still need to get the guitar into a tech to look at the nut height, intonation on the low-E is a real struggle at the first few frets.

OdgeUK

Post to Thread