F-2E String Spacing - General Question

Updated
F-2E String Spacing - General Question

So I took my F2-E to a tech to have it properly set up because the setup on it was atrocious.  I think the previous owner did it himself and with a Floyd Rose, there are too many tricky calibrations in my opinion for me to try fixing it myself.  Anyway, I picked the guitar up and the tech told me that there was a problem with the string spacing for the high E  The problem is that when I play anything in area of the neck between the 7th fret and the 11th fret, the E string rolls off the fret to the outside of the neck.  Almost like it is being pulled.  This problem is unique to the LTD.  I have a 2009 Music Man with a 1 5/8 neck and I'm usig .009's on it and I have no problem at all.  This is the same guage string I'm using on the LTD.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this?  Not being able to hit notes on the 7th through 11th fret is frustrating since I play in that range quite a bit.  I can post some pictures later if it will help.

Thanks

Pushead

On a guitar with a Floyd Rose (or any type of locking nut), the string spacing is pretty well fixed by the metal block.  I saw a photo of the neck in your other thread, and it looks (from the photo) that the entire nut is shifted too far toward the low E, meaning there is more space between the edge of the fretboard and the low E than there is between the edge of the fretboard and the high E.

The fix for this would have your tech remove the nut, and fill the screw holes in the neck for the nut.  He can then adjust the position of the nut, redrill the holes and remount the nut.  That should fix the problem.

Tinker

Just not sure it's worth the expense.  My tech told me it is labor intensive and he wouldn't be able to really estimate until te work was in progress at that point I'm pretty much committed.   Maybe I'll just give the nut a couple of light taps with a rubber hammer and see if that moves it enough to make it playable.  I've already spend a couple of hundred dollars replacing the muddy sounding pickups that came on this guitar.  It's not a good investment in my mind to spend too much more.

Thanks for the response.

Pushead

I'd get a second opinion.  Other than the time it takes for the glue to dry, it's about a 10 minute job with about $3 of material.  If you live near Cleveland, I'd do it for free.

It's the nut that needs to move, not the bridge.

Tinker

Yeah sorry, I'm quite a ways from Cleveland.  I live near Boston.  Thanks for offering though, I appreciate it.

Tinker

I think the nut was installed incorrectly on this thing. I loosened it, moved it a little and tightened back down and it seems like it was just enough to move the strings so that the fret roll-off is not ocurring any more. Also, when I put the nut pieces back together, I noticed that if I set the retainers the way I have them in the picture, they are not as crowded onto the nut and don't impact the location of the strings.  I wonder if that's what was happening?

Pushead

Sounds like it worked without having to re-drill.  Nice job!

Post to Thread