EC 256 pots, capacitators and pickups

Updated
Andrew M.

Hi everyone,

I have an ec256 and I am thinking of upgrading the humbucker to some form of PAF from SD, DiMarzio or Gibson.  If prepping to order, I opened up the back cavity and found no ohm designation on the stock pots other than "made in Korea jse 201".  From the basic web search, all I can ascertain is that these are probably 200k pots.  Can anyone confirm this?

If this is true, I know I need to upgrade pots and caps to 500k at the minimum.  Is there any advantage to upgrading to 1M pots with PAF pickups?

ajm

Pushead

The prevaling theory is the greater the resistance, the brighter the sound.  My experience is that it's a small jump from the 500 to the 1M.   I'd suggest starting with the 500k and selecting the pickup based on what you want to hear.  From there, you can decide if you want to experiment with new electronics.

Andrew M.

Thanks, Pus, for the info.  

The problem is that I cannot tell if the pots are already 500k right now or not.  I have seen conflicting information from different forums (here and at SD) that keep me from knowing what is currently in my guitar.  I would prefer not to change out the pots at this point if I can get by without doing so. 

Pushead

Go with what's stock, and then work from there.  Or, if you have a multimeter, you could test the pots and see what the resistance is.

For what it's worth, I'd be shocked if there was a 200k volume pot in a guitar with humbuckers.

Auriemma

Andrew... why not just call ESP customer service?  They could tell you what ohm pots are used.  It beats guessing.

Post to Thread