LTD bridge problem. Please help.

Updated
Radu P.

First of all, hello guitar lovers! I hope you can help me with a problem that's been bugging me for a while, I know this is a long text but please bear with me and help me through this. One year ago I bought this beautiful LTD EC-200 guitar, even tho the quality for the price is amazing (really, one of the best in that price range) I found a little flaw that is really getting annoying (and expensive). I noticed that my low E breaks at the same spot (the bridge saddle) everytime, the problem is that it won't last more than like 5-6 hours of playing. I usually use Elixir 11-49 and it gets expensive for a while because I play a lot and these strings cost more than  D'Addarios or Ernie Ball. I analyzed the possibilities and I've come to the following conclusions:

A) My way of playing: Excluded (I think), even tho I palm mute a lot I dont use such force that it would break like that, I even tried being more conscious and playing softer than usual. Same result..;

B) Maybe the string is too thick for the slot and it cuts in the edge of it (I don't know);

C) The design of the Tune O-Matic, the saddle being too sharp at the end of it, cutting through my string.

After i thought a bit about it I think the best solution would be buying a new bridge (a Roller preferably), that would be a nice upgrade that this beautiful lady would deserve  I know you guys are experienced with this stuff and I would be so grateful if you could tell me the cause of the problem, and if so what should I do or what bridge should I get. I really don't know what bridge would fit in there without having to remove the studs from the guitar or drilling new holes. I've seen a few that would match for, quote, "overseas guitars" but most likely they are reffering to Epiphones, and I don't know if LTD's have the same sizes as Epiphone guitars. Again, if you could tell me the cause and a good roller bridge that would match I would be more than grateful.  I posted some photos down below (excuse my bedsheet ). Thank you in advance!

Adam Kasnyóczki

Never seen something like that. My guess would be C and I'd file it carefully.

Radu P.

I was thinking about filing it, but I'm afraid I might mess it even more.. I don't know. Thanks for help.

Pushead

I'd also suspect it's C.  If you don't feel comfortable filing it yourself, take it to a reliable tech and have a setup done on the guitar.  Costs about $35 in this part of the world.

Dinan

Yup. Send it for a pro setup. Or if you're willing to spend, swap to Gotoh or Tunepro

Greg R.

I think there are 2 problems going on. First I want to ask is if the low E string tends to buzz on the frets unless the A string is too high? The slot in the saddle looks too deep. Also the slot seems too narrow. Both of these will cause strings to break. I changed the tune-o-matic on my Dean ML and used a triangular file to make a small notch. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, take it to any music store tell them you want a new bridge and AND make sure you tell them exactly what strings you want. It does make a difference.

Radu P.

The string does buzz but not that much, the action is not that low but it is not high either, like I said I use 11's so I thought it's pretty normal to buzz a bit. Now that I look you are right, seems that it's too narrow but also deep. I only have one guitar shop in the town and they are not experienced with repairing things so... I think I'll try to file myself. Can you please give me some tips and what file should I use? Thank you.

Darren K.

Use a sml flat or triangle file. Take off or round the corner where piece goes from flat to angled. I garuntee bit of a point on that corner edge that is wearing into strings. Look carefully can see is exact breaking point. Just file corner, so you dont widen channel. Advise not to ever file bottom of channel. These are precisioned machined parts. If need to clean up, use sandpaper over 800 grit. Wrap around a A or D string and gently slide back and forth to clean surface rust if stored for long time or high humidity area. Note channel may hav been customed previously or your choice of string just bit fat. Note other channels, are they curved? I 

Darren K.

Cont....  I believe maybe they are, as would break at front or rear of block if not. Yours breaks in mid where angle meets flat. Filing those corners will not widen or deepen your channel, which if you did would effect the quality of tune. (String may get nth sth movement if widened, if deepened break point may be further towards neck).

Darren K.

Radu P.

Oh, so you are saying basically it doesn't matter if the slot is a bit narrow as long as I file the edge, the edge where it goes angled, that being the breaking point. Right?

Darren K.

Yes

Darren K.

Note .above pic may need adjustment.

You may need to gently just remove entire  cornered edge on flat bit. But try as described above first. Cheers 

Reason: Part of bridge probably old design. Your Strings may be newer design. Manufacturer is yet to update tooling.

Radu P.

Thank you very much for all the tips and help. I'm going to purchase a set of files and try as you said, maybe post some results. Again, thanks!

Post to Thread