LTD 7 string EMG pickups not moving...

Updated
Leo Vannucci

Hi guys!

I just got a brand new LTD MH-417 which has 2 EMG's (81-7 and 707).

I bought the guitar as my backup guitar for my main one, which is an ESP Standard Horizon FR7.

They are basically the same guitar except the wood and finish, etc.

I noticed that unlike my ESP, on this LTD the pickups do not raise or lower themselves with the screws. You just turn them and nothing happens - the problem is that the pickup height is quite low and uneven between both pickups.

Is this normal?

I haven't opened the guitar yet (I usually inspect the pickups and guts)... But I have on my ESP and under each of the pickups on that guitar, there are some compact foam squares glued to the back of the EMG's - my guess is that since the pups are directly mounted on both guitars, the ESP Standard solution was to use this foam, but the LTD just doesn't have it.

Regardless of what I will fix, it'd be interesting to know if it's a common issue with 7 string LTD's that have EMG pickups...

Help!

Pushead

Seems strange.  I suspect that the springs (or sometimes companies use surgical tubing) between the bottom of the pickup and the body of the guitar is broken or not there.  I'm not sure if ESP uses the foam instead of the springs, or if it's there to keep the pickup from sitting on the body itself.

Leo Vannucci

Fixed!

Both humbuckers on the LTD actually had the same thick foam glued to them at the bottom just like on my ESP, however, it needed a bit more to be able to raise higher. I took some of the foam that came inside the box for my EMG Afterburner and used it to add height and pressure to the pups, everything looks and sounds great!

Post to Thread