Choosing the LTD EC-401B BLKS

Updated
Flemming  V.

Hello everyone,

I'm getting my first electric guitar and i want an LTD EC-401 model, i do guitar for hobby and want try some things i've been reading a lot about baritone electric guitars and i think that maybe given the wider spectrum of sounds thats what i must get, but there is something that is helding me back a bit as for everywhere i read it says that baritone guitars cannot be tunned to be the same as standards and i will like to have that ability so the guitar can do as a standard when i want and baritone when i need it, so my questions are:

Can i get the baritone EC-401B and tune it to a standard version?

What kind of strings do you recommend for the standard or baritone tuning? (im thinking of Dunlop Heavy Core in different sizes)

Something else you would like to add?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Flemming

david s.

Sorry I can't help with your baritone decision as I've never played one but I have a ec 401 fr and it's an exceptional instrument!

Zhalman

Baritones are made for lower tunings, honestly I don't know, it may be possible to do it (not sure though), but I haven't played one as the normal scale lenghts are fine for me.

Joshua F.

Hey Flemming,

Unfortunately you most likely aren't going to be able to tune to standard on a baritone scale guitar. Your strings will break before you can tune that high, as there will be far too much tension due to the extended scale length. To get a higher tone, you would use thinner strings which can't take as much pressure as something you would use on a baritone. If you use heavy strings like you normally would on a baritone, tuning it up higher than it was built to be tuned would put a large amount of strain on the neck and could cause permanent damage.

If I had to recommend anything I would probably say either get a 7 string, or get a guitar with a 25.5" scale and throw some slightly thicker strings on it. That way you should be able to tune to standard (it will hurt your fingers a bit due to the high tension and you probably haven't strengthened your fingers yet) and be able to drop the tuning lower when required without it buzzing out too much. You would then have the option of throwing on standard thickness strings if you decide lower tuning isn't for you and it will play as it was meant to, or you can throw some really heavy strings on it and have it play alright at lower tunings without sacrificing too much tone.

I'm not a guitar tech or a teacher, so i'm just talking from experience as a guitarist. Make sure you have a chat with a professional before you make your decision.

Post to Thread