Best passive PUPs to swap into an MH

Updated
Best passive PUPs to swap into an MH

Love this guitar, an MH100QMNT, for an inexpensive second axe. It plays beautifully, stays in tune and really sings out no matter where I play on the neck. Unfortunately, all that awesomeness seems to end when I plug it into my amp. I bought this with the idea of upgrading it slowly overtime as a project for weekends, and the first thing I want to do is put better PUPs in it. The stock ones are very muddy and lack punch. I'm leaning towards the Seymour Duncan Nazgul or Invader, but wanted some feedback from the LTD vets on here who have swapped pups before. I don't want active PUPS, so no need to sell me on the glory of EMGs. Looking for a complimentary match to the heavy tone I get with my RG470 (loaded with a DiMarzio DP100) which has a similar body/neck/fingerboard set. Recommendations?

Brian T.

I'm not a fan of EMG/active PUPS either and for me my go to PUPS are the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom in the bridge and the SH-1 59 in the neck. There a great combo, the Custom is a ceramic magnet pickup that is like a classic PAF style humbucker on steroids. Great clarity, note definition, punch and it handles high gain settings very well and cleans up nicely. It's a moderate to hot output PUP and sound great when playing palm muted riffs, just so much clarity even at high gain. The Duncan 59 has always been my go to neck pickup for the last 10 years or so. It's a alnico magnet and has a classic PAF style sound with a more modern sound as well. Great for doing leads, great clean, dirty or full on high gain metal. The 59 is just a awesome neck pickup and it sounds great with many other PUPS in the bridge. Also for the bridge I recommend you check out the Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion if the SH-5 Custom isn't your type of bridge PUP. 

Mike B.

Thanks, Brian. I've been watching/listening to tons of videos with pickup comparisons and have landed on the SH-6 time and again. Although, the sound of the Blackouts is really pulling at me. They seem to have more of an organic tone than the EMGs but still have that same solid crunch. 

Brian T.

No problem Mike. I've used the Blackouts before and they are good for active PUPS. Don't use them anymore though cause I just got tired of changing the batteries in my guitar lol. Check them out since you like there tone and check out the SH-6, it's a real solid passive pickup with solid crunch and it cleans up nicely as well. 

Mike B.

So you've had Blackouts and SH-6s, mind if I ask which you liked better and why?

jt76

THESE WOULD BE MY PICKS - 

SUHR SSV - NECK, SUHR SSH+ BRIDGE 

WILDE  - L500R NECK  AND L500XL BRIDGE - WILDE PICKUPS - THE REAL BILL LAWRENCE - NOT THE COMPANY THAT OWNS HIS NAME.

DIMARZIO AIR NORTON NECK - DUNCAN SH 5 BRIDGE

AND + 1 ON THE DUNCAN SH-6'S IN BOTH POSITIONS 

Brian T.

Personally I liked the SH-6s better than the Blackouts. Both sound great and if I were to use active PUPS I'd go for Blackouts. But I say the SH-6 is better because it's more versitle. Also the SH-6 has a sharper attack and a well balanced low end and smooth mids. The Blackouts to me have to much low end and the mids aren't as well balanced as the SH-6. The SH-6 is a hot, high gain PUP but it cleans up nicely and to me it's more clear and articulate than the Blackouts. Also I just love the quick, sharp attack that the SH-6 produces, can go from 80's/classic tharsh sound to more modern metal.

Mike B.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm now convinced to go with the SH-6. Then, it's locking tuner time... LOL. #alwayssomething

Brian T.

Yeah the SH-6 is a awesome passive PUP. You said you have a DiMarzio DP100 in your Ibanez RG and the SH-6 is real similar to that PUP but a bit more hotter and more output as well. Locking tuners are always nice and if your not using a Floyd or locking nut then they def help keep your guitar in tune. Alos if your not wanting to spend that much money on locking tuners check out getting a compensated nut. My EC-400 Eclipse has standard Grover mini tuners on it and it's got a Ervana Compensated nut on it and wow what a differance it makes. The compensated nut really helps the guitar stay in perfect tune. Years ago I had a Gibson Les Paul Studio and always had tuning issues with it. Now that I got the EC-400 I've decided that ESP/LTD makes better LP style guitars than Gibson! There's some other Eclipse models in the ESP and LTD lines that feature compensated nuts and you can order them off a variety of websites for great prices, though I know a few years ago Earnie Ball/Music Man had a legal battle with the Ervana company and Earnie Ball won the case but companies still make compensated nuts. 

Mike B.

That's good info on the nut, thanks. I just figured if I was going to upgrade tuners, I'd be better off getting lockers.

Have you tried the SD Black Winters? I've seen some folks say they're an upgrade to the SH-6.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread