Heavy gauge strings

Updated
Heavy gauge strings

I just purchased a MH-100QMNT and I wanted to put on .12 -.54 heavy gauge strings. The guy at the shop said the bridge and nut can handle it but now that I have a string lined up(.54) it looks way too big for the nut. I haven't completely tightened it so no damage done but my question is will it crack or break the nut or am I just being overly cautious?

Pushead

It can crack or break the nut.  It's a pretty quick fix if you take it to a tech, they'll have a file that can open the slot for you.

Mike B.

I have that same guitar. I'm curious why some people choose different gauges. I prefer 9s cause tehy just feel lighter and I can move faster on them. What about the 12s appeals to you?

Rory L.

well normally when I use heavier gauges I use 10's or 11's, they're good for down tuning for nice heavy tones and they take the abuse of tuning up and down better. I also like the heavy strings because it works my finger strength so when I switch to my other guitar with 9's on it, they feel like nothing. Honestly the only appeal that the 12's had were pure curiosity, just wanted to try em'.

Post to Thread