Bought a used mh-1000. Wont stay in tune.

Updated
Nick B.

I cannot get this guitar to stay even somewhat in tune, is this normal for these guitars? is there something specific i have to do with the locking nuts  or anything?

Nick B.

just noticed that as i tune up the floyd rose plate also raises really high up

Nathan S.

Sounds like you need to tighten the screws in the spring cavity if it is pulling the Floyd up. You have to find the balance point in spring tension and string tension where the guitar is in tune and the Floyd floats pretty flat. Probably work in gradual increments tightening your spring tension and backing off the tuner tension. Floyd can be tricky, one the one guitar I have with a Floyd once I get it close to in tune with the Floyd floating flat I lock the nut down and then fine tune with the spring tension and microtuners. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Nathan S.

To be a little clearer the screws in the spring cavity I am referring to are the 2 that screw into the body that hold the spring retaining plate. Screw them in for more spring tension to pull the Floyd back down, and you will probably have to back the tuners off when you do that.

Nick B.

almost thought something was wrong with it Thanks going to try this now. Does it really matter what strings i use?

Nathan S.

I thought the same thing when I got my first Floyd equipped guitar, thought what the hell is wrong with this thing. Took a while to get the hang of tuning and adjusting it. Size of strings is basically personal preference of feel and tone and whether you are standard tune or drop tuned, but your setup will change depending on string size used. Truss rod adjustment, bridge height, etc. I use light gauge strings because I have short wimpy fingers so they are easier to play, but the tone is a little higher and brighter than a heavier gauge string which will give you a little deeper crunchier tone.

Nick B.

The guy i bought it from had it set up in drop B tuning which i why i think im having some trouble getting it right. Might just bring it to the store and have them set it up for drop D.  I only have 3 springs holding in the floyd btw, wasnt able to handle .10 strings. .9 made it alot better but still not fully staying in tune

Nathan S.

How much gap is between the spring plate and the body still? I'll bet you can run the screws in more yet, there's a lot of adjustment there. The one I have with a Floyd only had 2 springs on it when I got it and I run standard E tune which is more string tension than drop d so you should be able to get it tuned with 3. I have since changed mine to 4, because I prefer the Floyd stiffer.

Pushead

There are hundreds of videos on YouTube showing how to set-up Floyd Rose equipped guitars.  It's a fine art to getting it balanced and intonated correctly, but once you have it set for your favorite gauge of strings and tuning, it should be fine until you decide to change gauges or tunings.

Nick B.

ahh i got it! no need to get it set up thanks. Only a small problem my A string has to be slighlty flat to be in tune with the other strings. Could just be becuase they are old.

Nathan S.

If at first you don't succeed........................keep messing with it till you've really f*#&ed it up!!! Glad to hear you got it!

Matt W.

Strings are usually the culprit. One of my friends is a tech for touring bands. He only uses Ernie Balls because of consistancy. He said he seen too many bad strings right out of the pack in the other brands. He may string 20 guitars a day. I've been using them for over 30 years with no problems.

Post to Thread