FRX Anyone?

Updated
Dave P.

Anyone try FRX401?

I want the E-II with maple and Floyd, but my accountant (wife) will hurt me far less if I could get over those features and get the LTD.

Would be nice if LTD had a Floyd version.

I will probably have to order sight unseen, so what can I expect to see, feel and hear?

I am new here and to ESP/LTD and mostly know my Fender Strat for comparisons.

I would like to hear all comments and opinions.

Dave

Dave P.

Perfect solution - used E-II... thanks, but sadly I'm in Canada, exchange rate sucks right now and it's still too soon for me to have this much money. Hope one like this is available when I do though, but in meantime... hoping to learn more.

For compare, I assumed anything 400 and up would have the build quality - was more referring to thin-U vs modern-C, weight/balance and sound.

Glad to hear mention of 'clean'.

jt76

That exact EII Frx at GC Was previously owned by a friend of mine for a short time its very nice. He sold it to help fund a music video he is making.  I almost bought it from him but some other gear took priority.  Has fat neck compared to my ltds.  very low action and very fast feeling.  Definitely a metal guitar.  maybe a bit sterile for clean unless you are adding some delay or reverb and some chorus.   Its really nice looking in person.

Dave P.

How many neck profiles does ESP have and where's the info on them?

If FRX is fatter than typical LTD, how thick - like baseball bat?

I assume sterile is more a factor of active EMGs, and swap to passives may be the cure.

JT76 - can you compare how it feels compared to a Strat? Describe it's tone? Much appreciated!

jt76

It's been a while since I have played it so all this is just my best recollection

The neck profile felt similar to most of the moden ESP's I have picked up,

felt closets to a modern production KH2,  played a LTD horizon III elite about a year ago, and that also felt similar,

Played a Modern ( whenever they were doing volcano finish ) horizon II ntfr about 2 years ago and it felt similar to that.

The Necks on the hozions seemed slightly more narrow, Than the neck on the KH2 and the Neck on the FRX, but otherwise the same.

I don't know if the necks were actually wider or it that was my imagination.

I don't see a lot of modern production ESP stuff at my local stores,  so I usually rely on what flots past in the used market.

The neck is wider than a modern Fender strat and alsmost as thick,  but the shape is different and the fretboard has much flater radius.

The shape is more U shaped and less C shaped compared to a fender. The U shape and flat radius make thinner in the middle of the neck.   

The shape makes that neck seem a lot faster than a Fender.  It also has xtra jumbo frets, compared to medium frets on a Fender.

I would not call it a baseball bat.  I prefer really thin necks so I though it felt large but I still found it comfortable.  

As far as tone goes,  EMG's impart a lot of their own sound so that is a bit hard to say.  

The sterile clean sound was definitely the EMGS.   I think they were 89's.  A warmer set of EMGs or some Passives would improve the clean sound. 

The guitar has a natural scooped sound to it.  Bass and Treblie heavy with not a lot of mids.  A nicely balanced guitar for jazz, metal or progressive.

Not exactly what if would go for If I wanted to play blues.

I rember it had good resonance and sustain. There is a video of Monte Pitman playing one that has dimarzios in it look that up and That should give you a good Idea

of what it would sound like with passives. 

Last time I saw the guitar its was in perfect condition.  

If you are really thinking about it I would call that store and Ask for Mike Grubb or Tim Fallon.   They will give you a fair accuate descriptions of anything you want to

know.  And can tell you what its current condition is. They are both managers that have worked there fairly long time so they arn't desparate to make the sale and

therfore don't really exagerate about the quality of instruments.   They will work with you on the price if possible especially for guitars that have been hanging around a

while.  

If I happen to go by the store this week I will take another look at it and see If I can provide more information. 

Dave P.

jt76:

I just bought your buddies E-II FRX.

Curious to know your friends name in case he "makes it" I can say, "this guitar used to belong to...."

Any links to a website, or his band or his videos would also be cool.

Hey, who knows right... 

....now the waiting for it to show up starts.

jt76

Congrats its a beautiful guitar. I was looking at that last week.  And thinking damn i would like to buy it.  But due to the unique shape of the guitar my wife would certainly realize that a new guitar had arrived at the house and there would be problems.  Glad you bought it before I got myself in trouble. It was  Previously owned by James Tunnell.   I dont know if he is releasing the video under a band name , stage name or his own name.   When it gets released I will post the information.  

Dave P.

Thanks man. Oh ya, I'm in trouble.

Post to Thread