Tailpiece height on TOM's

Updated
Tailpiece height on TOM's

Now I'm far from an esp expert. But all the ESP products I've looked at, I have an EII Eclipse, and a 1000VB. THey both had the tailpeice screwed down to the body, or "decked" you do this is you top wrap your strings. Like Jimmy Page. Other wise you want the tailpeice to be high enogh so that the back of your strings don't lay on your bridge. It's a tone robber. Every ESP I tried in the store was wrong. They'd sell more if they set them up better. 

Pushead

I've never experienced "tone robbing" with a decked TOM.  Some people like it decked because it reduces the compliance (adds preceived tension) to the strings.  I prefer them decked.  Your milage may vary.

Matt W.

Well, if the back of your strings, hit the back of the bridge. That's where the vibrations stop. Gibson recommends you raise it up to about the bridge hieght and lowere it to just before the strings hit the back of the bridge. The way the vibration makes it to the tailpiece.

Pushead

Yeah, but Gibson also recommends you let a computer tune your guitar.

Again, YMMV.  I prefer it decked.  I've never noticed a difference in tone, and the "tension" difference is enough to bother me.

Sretaw Nerrad

Decking, was the precursor to the string thru. It increases the resonance in the body, I also read that's the proper way to use a TOM bridge. The simple solution to the string stop behind the bridge is to wrap the string through the stop piece, (like the lp jr/ melody makers) and then over the bridge. It gives full string vibration from tuner to tailpiece to body.

Pushead

Technically, I believe string-through was a thing before they started making tune o matic bridges. The Fender Broadcaster from 1950 was string through.

Post to Thread