Help With My LTD EC-10

Updated
Help With My LTD EC-10

A few days ago I was at Guitar Center, and they were having a sale on some of their LTD's. One that caught my attention was the EC-10. I've only had one LP style guitar before, and I have to say, the cutaways on this are just gorgeous. I usually don't buy 'beginner' type guitars, but for $100 NIB, I had to. I've never had a problem with an LTD...until now. After basic setup (truss rod, tuning, etc.) I tried it out. When I do power chords---or anything on the E, A, and D strings, it gets very loud for about a second, then goes into a normal chord. I adjusted the pickups, but that was no help. I think they installed 2 neck pickups instead on a neck and a bridge. What furthers that suspicion is that when I switch pickups they both sound exactly the same. Does anyone else have any other ideas before I go out and buy a new pickup?

Thanks

PS, I've changed stock ESP pickups before. In my profile pic I'm playing my LTD M-100FM that I modded and installed a set of Dimarzio Illumination pickups (the John Petrucci Sig, pickups). While it sounded great at first, it sounds even better now!

Pushead

Um, I don't quite understand what you mean by "loud for a second then goes normal."  It's unlikely that they installed a neck pickup at the bridge space, because even two of the same pickup would sound differently at neck and bridge locations.

I recommend taking the guitar back to the store where you bought it and have them take a look at it.

Realistically, instead of changing pickups in this guitar (and even in the M-100) you should just invest that money in a better guitar.

Ishtiaq S.

Maybe it's because it's a bolt on neck, but even then the sound should nicely ease out instead coming into a sudden halt. Even if they did put two neck pickups, it shouldn't do that. Take it back n get a replacement.

Post to Thread