Need help

Updated
Marc C.

I've just bought an esp ltd 331 and I am not getting any output through my amp when I plug in. When I plugged the cable into the guitar for the first time I had to force the jack into the socket and I think I may have damaged something, but I don't know for sure, baring in mind this is a brand new guitar straight out the box. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could do? 

Pushead

What all have you tried to do to test your setup?  I don't  mean to offer "simple" solutions, but since you didn't mention anything you've tried, it's hard to diagnose the problem.

From simple, easy, "duh" tests to more complicated:

1) Is the amp plugged in?

2) Is the cable fully plugged in at both ends?

3) Is the volume up on both the amp and guitar?

4) Do you have anything else (pedals) in the signal path between the guitar and amp?  If so, have you tried plugging the guitar straight in?

5) Have you tested another guitar through this amp and cable combination?

6) Have you tested this guitar and amp with another cable?

7) Have you tested this guitar and cable with another amp?

8) Have you tested this guitar with another cable and amp?

This should help you determine if the problem is with the guitar, the cable or the amp.  From there, we might be able to diagnose what the specific problem is.

jt76

Battery for the active pickups?  Is there one in the guitar,  is it connected, is it a good battery? 

also the first two knobs are volume knobs, so if one is off and the other is on no sound will come out in the middle position or the pickup with the volume off. 

Also a bad cable can cause a lot of confusion.

Also you should have not needed to force the cable into the jack,  if the jack is broken any tech can fix this or you could  send the guitar back because it is under waranty,  Esp will fix it or replace it if you got it from a reputable dealer. 

6-String

Did you find the problem? The jack may have been bent when you plugged in, you should not need to use force when plugging in. I would remove the 2 screws pull the jack out just a bit and see if the cable is making contact with the correct parts of the jack and not being ground out when plugged in. Be careful not to pull the wires out too far and break a soldered connection.

Gisornator

I've none of the above suggestions helped, open the back of the guitar and check if there are some loose wires. Come back here if so is, because it could be more complicated then.

Michael T.

I would say if after you've gone through the great checklist Pushhead has given you that your guitar still isn't working , you send it back to supplier for a checkup and possible replacement if you got a defective unit. I wouldn't open it or anything like that for fear of voiding any warranty you have as it's a brand new guitar.

Adoro S.

Step into style in seconds with our selection of men formal shoes. From classic wingtips to sleek Oxfords, we've got what you need to make a perfect impression. Crafted from the finest leather and designed with attention to detail, our shoes provide superior comfort and timeless elegance at an affordable price. Whether you’re looking for something special for that upcoming interview or a bit more flair for a night out, formal shoes from us are the perfect choice. Make a statement today!

Jazmin c.

Buy winter clothes for women at the best prices online in Pakistan. Discover the latest winter clothing dress from Jazmin online. Start your online winter shopping now.

Meerak O.

Are you looking for the latest embroidered dresses online in Pakistan? So, come to Meerak online and get the latest embroidered dress online in all over Pakistan at reasonable prices with quick delivery.

Arthur A.

nice post

Angus M.

If you've gone through the helpful checklist provided by Pushhead and your guitar still isn't functioning properly, it would be advisable to return tunnel rush to the supplier for a thorough inspection and potential replacement if it's determined to be a defective unit. It's important not to open the guitar or attempt any repairs yourself, as this could potentially void any warranty that accompanies the brand new instrument. 

Post to Thread