I want to learn but need help! :)

Updated
Mr.G.

Hi everyone!

I've decided that I want to learn the electric guitar. I've played a very little when I was young a long time ago, and tried to restart later, but didn't work out. But now I've made the commitment and decided to learn to play, no matter how clumsy it's going to be at the beginning.

The good news: I've just got my basic equipment.
The bad news: I completely forgot everything! I really did!!!  :(

So, I guess, I'm gonna need some help. I've found a site called JustinGuitar which may be a good start. That young fellow created a bunch of good learning videos for beginners, but if you guys can give me more ideas of where to go for good electric guitar lessons, where to learn to play songs and make significant progress within the shortest possible time, I'd be very grateful!

Here is my amateur basic equipment:
- ESP LTD EC-1000ET (EverTune), a black beauty that I love already!
- Road Runner RRMEG ABS Molded Electric Guitar Case.
- Roland Cube Street EX Battery Powered Stereo Guitar Amplifier. (arrives tomorrow)
- TASCAM GB-10 trainer and recorder.
- LightSnake Guitar/Keyboard USB 10ft Cable to connect the guitar to the computer.
- BOSS OD-20 DriveZone Distortion Pedal (with a bunch of effects and 4 memory banks)
- Vox amPlug 2 AC30 Guitar Headphone Amp  (this mini thing is surprisingly good and versatile)
- Picks, strings, cables, headphone, recording software and a whole lot o' desire to learn!   

OK, so I'm ready, but I need a ton of help with ideas of where to start and how to progress fast. I can make the time to practice, late at night if I have to, but I could use a bit of momentum into the right direction to get there faster. I have NO intention of performing publicly, only to entertain myself and irritate anyone who hates the crunching sound!   

Thanks for any idea in advance!

Matthew M.

try andy james guitar academy

Mr.G.

4 free lessons valued at $47- ... and then sign up for 'less than 1.38 a day' plus this and that....

Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind, but got a bunch of YouTube links with hundreds of good (and free) lessons that I can use to start, so I think those are better choices. Thanks anyways.  

Zhalman

My jaw dropped on your "basic" equipment. On your topic, I didn't play for more than 7 months after I sold my Cort X-2. All I can recommend is practice! Lessons can be found online for free, you just have to look for them. Practice is more important in my opinion.

Mr.G.

Thank you very much!

To be honest, I just did a very quick research and that's how I've selected my stuff.

Yesterday I picked up a few more things like:
- Line 6 Relay G50 wireless guitar transmission system.
- Vox amPlug 2 Metal and Classic Rock Headphone Amps, because the AC-30 G2 was so good!

Now I need a speaker stand for this portable Amp (arrived yesterday) to lift it up from the ground.

By the way, this Street Cube EX amp is AAAAAAMAZING!!! LOVE IT!!! Just turned it on minutes ago. Yesterday I was busy and didn't do anything with it but today morning I went through the User Manual and WOW! I mean WOW!!!     ... I feel I've made the right choice definitely with this unit!

OK, I have to admit that I AM a NOOB    ... so I don't really have a comparison to draw, but I think, by instinct alone with some research, I've managed to put together a very nice pack to start with.

The one and only thing I haven't figured out is, where could I get a portable, mobile, small-sized, preferably AA powered 9 Volt (with option for 12 volts) power pack, so I could turn the Line 6 Wireless Receiver into a mobile unit?! The Transmitter is battery operated obviously, but the receiver runs on an A/C adapter which I hate! I just hate cables generally, so I'm thinking about full mobility without cables all the way through.

I'm also thinking about getting some sort of a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter solution, so I could use a Bluetooth headphone. That way I could enjoy the full features of both the distortion pedal and the amp without irritating the living heck out of my neighbors.

Also, just trying out this EverTune guitar, I've suffered my first 'battle-wound' on my fingers!  ... nice little holes, so now I need a bit of time to heal up and get to the practice part. I can hardly wait! I want to learn fast, want to be good and play even better! .... I'm so excited!   

I will practice my butts off to learn to play, for sure!

Thanks for the reply.

d. smitty

Practice, practice, practice. Discipline goes a long way as it pertains to learning the guitar. There's free literature all over the net now. When I started there was hardly anything. I started out with a couple of chord books and some Mel bay books (I think that's the publisher). Once I got to a point with those I just started jamming with as many different types of musicians as I possibly could so I could start picking up little nuances in there style and put it in my toolbox. After that was theory and how to apply it. Again a lot of literature now. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come with time. Best of luck to you.

Mr.G.

Thanks again! I just put together my VERY FIRST Guitar Video about my equipment. I'm going to post it on the "EQUIPMENT" Forum as well, because that's really the proper place for it I think. Anyways, here is my amateur stuff, all put together by me...  

Don't worry, I NEVER place any irritating, crappy, annoying advertisements into my clips EVER, because I hate them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktrLi5Sgd2w

ENJOY!

palie p.

ESP LTD EC-1000ET is no amateur eqipment actually 1000 siries is for the pro player hahah, i wish i has this guitar when i was starting,

for me learn how to play guitar is easier nowadays you have so many resouces youtube, tab etc. when i was a beginner i learn all the (1)note on the fret first on all string then the(2)chord, power chord is a good way to start play. after that the (3) scale major and minor,and lastly (4) the technique like tapping etc. old punk rock song like Ramones is easier to play since they typically use like 3 or 4 chords. practice is really important and be motivated you cant be Kirk Hammett in one night, and the best things about playing guitar for me is you will always explore new thing.

cheers and do you best,

Thank you,

Shredatron

Wow! You got some serious gear right there. The guys above mentioned a lot of good advices. So all i can tell you is, practice and be inspired.

Jes J.

I'm learning bass using RockSmith. I've been playing a Les Paul in the bass setting, just to get a feel for it, but my ESP LTD Viper-104 should be here today/tomorrow!

My husband has traumatic brain damage and decided to pick up a guitar for the first time EVER in May. Using that game has not only helped his hand-eye coordination, but it taught him to SHRED!!! Seeing just how fast he picked it up makes me think it's the only way to dive in and REALLY learn how to play. 

Helena S.

You will need to put in a lot of effort and daily training, but it will definitely be worth all the effort. Perhaps you should try playing a regular classical guitar first? It will not require large investments and will not be so noisy for your neighbors

Henry M.

Yes, I agree with you. He would have to put a lot of effort into it and it might get in the way of the people around him. I think he should use video chat to impress his interlocutors and create a lot of videos, I've seen that's trendy these days.

Harry K.

It's important to try out the songs from the very beginning so that you don't lose interest in learning to play the guitar. Also, do not forget about the importance of motivation - professionalism and the desire for it are important in any business. Read some tips on https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/professionalism/ as well as all the essays on professionalism. And even if you want to play only for yourself and don’t want to conquer the stage, it’s still important to take things seriously and it’s better to learn right away correctly and according to all the rules.

henry w.

During my studies, I very often feel depressed and stressed. It is very difficult for me to study at this time. Almost impossible. That's why I use this service nursingwriting.org to make my life easier. These professionals write high quality essays at a low price. On any topic and size. These are very good options. I recommend it to all students because it makes life easier!

Faith W.

Valuable information and excellent design you got here Aruba Certified Switching Associate (ACSA) V1 HPE6-A72! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!!

Post to Thread