EC-401VF - Pickup color without covers

Updated
JackTie J.

Hey there,

I ordered a new pickup for the bridge position on my EC-401VF (old JB/'59 model).

I'm planning to install it without a cover, but I assume it might look weird in combination with the covered neck pickup (Seymour Duncan '59).

Then again I'm wondering if the default '59 pickup is in black, white or zebra look. Depending on the look I'm planning to remove the cover there too or put a cover on the bridge then.

Do you know what's the color of the neck humbucker?

Thanks in advance!

Pushead

It's probably a better question to ask Seymour Duncan.

You can find out yourself by pulling out one of the pole piece screws, but that will only tell you one of the bobbin colors.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it's probably double black.

Pushead

The covered neck and open bridge isn't all that weird.  Telecasters have been that way for decades.

Jeff H.

Pus is probably right, I'm sure it's black. Wouldn't make sense for them to use any of their non-black's for pups that are going to have covers.

Mismatched (bridge uncovered, neck covered) is fairly common too, I dont think it looks weird, hell, dare i say it's even a bit of a vintage move, aesthetically.

JackTie J.

Thanks for the replies. I've headed to the Seymour Duncan forums now and asked the same question there.

I think I could live with the cover on the neck pickup, but I've heard about slight differences in terms of the sound when uncovering the pickup.

For now I plan to remove the cover and see if I'll like the tone better then. If that's not the case I'll probably put it back on.

Pushead

That's why Jimmy Page did it (he's the first one I ever heard of doing it.)  He took the bridge cover off because he felt it had a bit more output that way.

Joshua Z.

I own the exact same guitar. Under the covers mine are double black. Most likely yours would be the same. Then again with manufacturing being what it is these days they used the nearest set of them they had handy. Great pickups and I have thought abi ut removing mine permanently but do now they are on. Mine is my 1st esp/ltd and I couldn't be happier. Cheers!

Zhalman

It looks good either way, it's your choice. I would check the the color of the covered humb first then order the matching color to that.

Matthew M.

i think covered and uncovered pickup set will be a great combination. 

Post to Thread