LTD Viper 10 Pickup Upgrade?

Updated
LTD Viper 10 Pickup Upgrade?

Hey guys, I have an LTD Viper-10 (one of those beginner starter pack guitars) that I feel like upgrading. Here are some specs that I dug up online:

- Agathis Body Material (I know in the newer models they use basswood, but I got mine circa 2006 so I'm sorta sure mine is agathis)
- Maple Thin-U Bolt-on Neck
- 24 Fret, Rosewood Fingerboard
- Two ESP LH-100 Humbuckers
- Tune O Matic Bridge and Tailpiece

I'm looking to play heavier music with this axe, stuff like Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, BMTH etc. I don't think the current pickups on it are hot enough to cut it. 

Before you tell me that I'm better off with a new guitar though, I do have one. It's just this was my first electric guitar which i've had for 8 years and it has a lot of sentimental value, played a lot of gigs with it before and I figure I'm not gonna get much selling it off anyway. 

Any advice would be helpful! Cheers

jt76

if you are mostly doing modern metal - these are good sets

duncan distortions - Think they sell them as a bridge / neck set at GC online - mayhem set I think it was called - sound great clean or distorted 

dimarzio evolutions -  they are a bit sterile when used clean,  but are really good distorted. 

emg 85 / 81 - set -  will need to redo all electronics, and find a spot for a battery.  Good Cleans / Good Distortion

Nabeel Z.
jt76 wrote:

if you are mostly doing modern metal - these are good sets

duncan distortions - Think they sell them as a bridge / neck set at GC online - mayhem set I think it was called - sound great clean or distorted 

dimarzio evolutions -  they are a bit sterile when used clean,  but are really good distorted. 

emg 85 / 81 - set -  will need to redo all electronics, and find a spot for a battery.  Good Cleans / Good Distortion

What about Duncan Invaders? I was considering them, just don't know if they would sound good on my guitar though.

jt76

In agathis I would say it would be hard to go wrong with either distortions or invaders, 

compared to the distortions the Invader is a going to be a fuller sound with a little more crunch, they are a more raw agressive sound

more like the behemoth sound

The distortions will sound a bit rounder. more refined, very compressed but still very agressive. 

more of the killswitch sound

If you play a lot of lead the distortions have very good balance and excellent individual note to note definition.

for example If you are sweeping volume is the same on low strings and high strings. when tapping  volume seems to stay the same on low frets and

high frets.  They also sustain well in all positions on the fretboard.  

( by the way for to happen they do have to be properly height adjusted and the poles have to be adjusted correctly also ) 

Nabeel Z.
jt76 wrote:

In agathis I would say it would be hard to go wrong with either distortions or invaders, 

compared to the distortions the Invader is a going to be a fuller sound with a little more crunch, they are a more raw agressive sound

more like the behemoth sound

The distortions will sound a bit rounder. more refined, very compressed but still very agressive. 

more of the killswitch sound

If you play a lot of lead the distortions have very good balance and excellent individual note to note definition.

for example If you are sweeping volume is the same on low strings and high strings. when tapping  volume seems to stay the same on low frets and

high frets.  They also sustain well in all positions on the fretboard.  

( by the way for to happen they do have to be properly height adjusted and the poles have to be adjusted correctly also ) 

Thanks for the info! So generally should I be looking for brighter pickups? The stock pickups i do feel are a little muddy.

Samik D.

Try railhammer anvil bridge and chiesel neck

Axl M.

How about the basswood i have viper10 on basswood im planning to upgrade it also what pick up should i use? My friend suggested tonerider rock strong is it good? Or i should go to blackouts?? Im playing hardcore like knocked loose,desolate etc. And also metalcore parkway, aild, august burns red etc??? Help would much be appreciated 

Post to Thread