Differences between the ec-256 and ec-401

Updated
Daniel G.

Are there any noticeable differences in the neck between the ec-256 and the ec-401? 

jt76

256 VIETNAM

401 INDONEISIA

As far as the way they feel 

There is a difference, it is slight,  I preffer the Vietnamese necks.

If you did not have both guitars in hand at the same time you would probably not notice the difference in feel.

as far a quality goes

I would rank the necks in this order,   Japan > Korea > Vietnam >Indonesia > China.  The difference for Vietnam, Indonesia, China is slight.  

I would and do order ESPs or LTDs made in japan korea or vietnam without playing,  I have not yet been unhappy with a neck produced in those countrys.

( out of about 40 esp/ltd brand guitars I have owned) I have gotten two with bad truss rods, I returned one and LTD swapped the neck out on the other one.  

LTD's from Indonesia and china I feel are hit or miss,  I have picked some up that feel terrible and some that feel really good.  Maybe 9 good ones out of 10.

I wouldn't buy one without playing it first and less the seller has a lienient return policy.  90% of the difference is the finsh quality of the frets.

If its coming into a store, they should have someone that can dress the frets, and make the nessecary adjustments.  You will also be able to try it before you take possesion

of the guitar. If you are ordering over the net, you will get a guitar that needs a full set up no matter what country of origin it is coming from.

While you may have the tools to adjust a truss rod, action and intonation, most people don't have the proper tools to dress frets. 

I haved played many Ltd's from China or Indonesia that I would not hesitate to buy,  however I am really only buy actual ESP's these days.

All that Said,

Of the two choices I would choose a guitar based upon the pickups, features, and appearance that you like.  

Post to Thread