PB 401 G&B Pickups?

Updated
PB 401 G&B Pickups?

Hey Guys, I am new around here, as this is my 1st post. I have been an ESP fan for years, and recently came back to the fold. I had an H100FM a couple years back that I sold, and just last week picked up a PB 401. I picked it up as somewhat of a project guitar, knowing it had some issues and abuse, but so far I love it. My question is concering the PB 401, which i have only seen come with the P-rails, however this one does not have them. I know someone has done some wiring (poorly) to it. It currently has G&B humbuckers in it. After messing around with it yesterday, I finally got it sounding decent again. Seeing as how I guessed, does anyone know the actual wiring codes for G&B pickups?
Thanks! 

jt76

my guess is someone took the p rails and swapped them into a 256 eclipse and took the g&B pickups from that and put them into the PB.  The mini toggle switch 

would have orginally been able to select single coil, humbucking or p90 on the p rails.   

- if I remember correctly the G&B's have back and yellow leads.   the G&B's are ok,  I have two 256 eclipses,  one I put a seymour duncan jb in the neck and an seymour duncan sh5 in the bridge,  the other currently still has the G&B's.  The G&B have a fairly good clean tone and sound real good distorted.  There are better choices but the G&B's  are usable,  on par with duncan designs in my opinion.  

The PB is a great guitar -  I  almost bought a gold one,  but it sold before I had the cash,  then a black one came around about a year later,  but when I when back to get it in about a week It had gotten kinda banged up at the store,  they wouldn't reduce the price so I had to pass.   Have not come across another one.  I Always liked the inlays on the fret board.  

Curtis S.

Thanks for the response! I must say, the more I play it, the more i like the sound of the G&B's. Definitely not the best p-up around, but they will defintely work for now. Once I have a chance, and re-wire the whole thing we'll see how she does, they're may be some HZ's on the horizon for it! I may also get a Tone-Pro's for it too, other than that, I love it!

theaudionut

I realize I am a little late in the game here.  

My Eclipse 256 came with some decent sounding humbuckers made by G&B.  I recently repotted them as they were getting a little whiny in the face of high gain.  Here is the wiring code:

Both:

North+ = Red, North- = Green

South+ = White, South - Black

Neck =  7.6k per pole, Bridge = 5.6k per pole

So if you want to wire them standard humbucking style, connect the GREEN and WHITE. Solder the ground/shield to black, or red, depending on your phasing requirement.

In choosing your tone control cap, the bridge has a total of 15.2k of resistance, so a 10nF will break at 1 kHz and a 22nF @ 475 Hz. I'd go with the 10 nF unless you like it really dark.

Similarly for the neck with 11.2kOhm, a 10nF @ 1.4 KHz and 22nF @ 645 Hz. 

Enjoy

-TheAudioNut- 

Curtis S.

Cool, thanks! I have since put in a Duncan Performer Detonator (as well as the Tone-Pros bridge), it really livened things up. After playing with a Railhammer, I may swap one of those in it at some point as well. Messing with the wiring in this has taught me a lot. Enough that my son and I actually handbuilt our own single coil that we stuck in a generic strat. It didn't sound great, but it was a successful learning experiment.

A year later, the PB is still my favorite guitar. I also aquired an M-17 which is nice, but not near as refined. 

Thanks again!

Post to Thread