New Pickups For EC-1000 VB Duncans

Updated
New Pickups For EC-1000 VB Duncans

Hey guys,

I sold my EC-401 with active emgs some time ago to purchase an EC-1000 VB with duncans 59/JB

The guitar is awesome but I dont feel im too fond of the pickups as i like to play heavy metal,

does anyone have a reccomendation for pickups that I could swap out preferably passives? (I play through a 6505 112 head and 4x12 with celestions)

Thanks!

Jason Constantine

I play metal on the JB and 59. I have been for the past 25 years. They are my favorite pickups. Sure they dont have the output of an EMG but they are great pickups. If you want to seriously move back to active pickups I would suggest buying a set of EMG's if you like them. I use the JB in the pridge pickup of all of my guitars and through any of my amps (5150, Krank, Marshall) they sounds amazing with more gain then i could ever need.  If i can make a suggestion on your amp settings. 

(Red Channel)
Gain on 4
Bass 7 
Mids 3
Highs 7
Presance and Resonance at 12:00

Try that, if that doesnt work for you try a higher output passive pickups like a Screamin Demon, Invader, or the Dimebag Pickup all made by Seymour Duncan.

Karsten h.

Hey jason thanks for the reply! 

The pickups really do deliver a great clear tone, i have tried guitar through other metal amps and did love the result. Im thinking that it is the amp itself (being a combo ran through 4x12) might be the issue for me. I dialed in similar settings to the one you reccomended just yesterday and was liking how they sounded. I shouldnt be so quick to judge the pickups, first guitar with passives so getting used to the transition. Thanks for your time and input! Have a good one

Jason Constantine

One thing you may want to try is thtorwin an Ibanez TS9 Pedal or TS7 in front of the amp. I find it really helps clean up the tone a bunch. You can find them anywhere between $50 and $150

load more replies (1 of 1)
Osvaldo T.

Have you heard of the new Seymour Duncan Black Winter set? They may be heavy sounding (in specs), but may be what you're really looking for. 

Karsten h.

Hey, yeah I've heard of them recently so far good reviews from what i've heard ill have to check em out soon! Thanks

Clerity

I like my Dimazio Breed and Liquifire pickups. The breed has nice attack, tight bass, and really smooth sounding, great both clean and distorted. The Liquifire is more for when i am playing clean with cords, but tapping does sound good with it. 

Karsten h.

I was actually looking into some Dimazio's and did like the tonal qualities they had, I do really like the Breed's

thesharkguitar

hi all, buy the ltd ec 1000 vb with emg and trade them for sh2 sh5 could try and have a lot of gain without losing the fat tone

Post to Thread