Grover 406C Rotomatic Mini on Viper 50

Updated
Peaty
First post I hope this is in the right place. I don't play guitar myself but both my kids do. I like to tinker so I do the guitar maintenance for fun. The forum helped me decide which tuners to install on my son's ESP LTD Viper 50 so I thought I'd post a few photos. I got them off of Amazon and posted a quick review there so here goes: >I was looking for a direct replacement for my son's ESP LTD Viper-50. Something that would not require drilling of either the post hole or locating screw on the back of the headstock. These fit the bill nicely. Remove the originals with a small Phillips screwdriver for the screw and a 10mm socket for the nut. The new tuners drop right in using the same tools and locating hole for the screw. The tuning heads are slightly smaller than the original but look just fine. Quality is great too. Since this type of tuner does not have a locking thumb screw like others I've installed, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the string in and locked down. There is a little cap on the top of the tuner post you need to rotate till you feel a slight click. Next you will need to rotate the tuner key until the string hole in the shaft, which is slightly off center, is on the opposite side from the tuning key. I did run into an issue with the large E-String (#6, the thickest one) not fitting in the hole. The guitar is set up for drop tuning and uses very thick strings. In the end I used a 1/64" drill bit to very slightly enlarge the opening for that tuner only. It worked out fine.< In the third pic I have an arrow showing the string hole, notice that it's nice and low on the shaft making for a good angle for the string off of the nut. The string sits lower than the stock tuners. I was worried, not being able to see them in person, if the string would sit too high. Cheers, Peaty
Post to Thread