New to Message Board

Updated
Jeremy
Hey Guys, I've been looking around here for while and finally signed up. There's lots of great info on here and you guys seem to really know what you're talking about with these guitars. I currently own a EC-1000VB with EMG pickups and a EC-256AHB. I bought the EC-1000 first after I tired of the Squire models of Fenders. I've owned a couple different models, MIM and MIJ, and neither one seemed to really get me good sound, stay in tune, or have great feel. Probably not representative of all the Fender brand but I have a better fit with the ESP's. I'll kick off my first post with with a question and see where it goes. I had thought of upgrading to a little bit better model than the 256, like to a 401-407, but I really like the neck and feel of the 256. Sooo on to the question. If I keep this guitar, would basic upgrades like tuners, new nut, maybe a new bridge and tail piece get me a better put together guitar that I can get a good set up on and not feel like I need the upgrade? Of course it's all personal preference but I'm asking about quality of the guitar overall. I've read on here shallers have a locking direct replacement fpr the tuners, that tonepros, gotoh, and a few others are great for the bridge and tail piece, but I'm really a newbie with esp and this style of guitars. Also was curious about the nut and if it would help to replace it. My ec-1000 has all the bells and whistles and I like those options, so maaybe i answered my own question, haha. Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way. I'll post some pictures of my stuff in just a little while. Jeremy
EvolutionVII

Well it depends on what you think needs to sound/feel different.
What's wrong with it?

Jeremy

I have a couple of strings that seem to hang up when i'm tuning them. Meaning that they dont easily go into tune and stay there. Besides that I don't have a lot of complaints.

The upgrades, I feel, would make it a better preforming guitar and just thought I'd throw it out here to see what other players have found make a difference or really aren't worth the effort.

BroKV

Looks like heavy strings did you open up the slot on the nut so the string slides freely?

Jeremy

I haven't tried that yet but I'll give it a shot and see if it helps. I like a heavier string set for slide and getting a good deep sound out of the bottom end.

deus ex machina

Once I upgraded the nut and tuners in my Ibanez, tuning stability improved A LOT. It's worth a try if you like the feel and tone of your EC-256.

I've tried GFS locking tuners, Grover Mid-size Rotomatics, and Planet Waves Auto-Trim Locking all in the same guitar actually. I recommend both Grovers and Planet Waves. Grovers, believe or not are by just a hair the most stable, even though they aren't locking. Planet Waves are more than stable themselves too, and they make string changes a breeze.

Have you tried adjusting the height on the tune-o-matic bridge ? That makes a huge difference as far as tuning stability is concerned. Here are ESP's specs for that style bridge ;

Bass side - 2.0 mm

Treble side - 1.5 mm
A bit OT, I guess... but while I do acknowledge that those are the settings ESP recommends as far as action, I always found those a bit too... "un-modern", lol, for a lack of a better word, for more modern-esque guitars designs like ESP offers. JMO, of course, but ESPECIALLY if you're not downtunig you could probably get away with lower settings without fret buzz.

More on-topic: as long as the guitar is well-setup, I don't think lower action settings account too much for tuning instability compared to a non-lubricated nut/bridge saddles and cheap tuners, but yeah... maybe it's worth a try as well.

Jeremy

Thanks for all the replys. I usually tune to standard but I like open G and E for slide. Not sure if that would make a big difference for string height in different turnings but Ill play around with that also and see if it makes a difference.

I'll keep you guys informed as to what I change and post new pics

Jeremy

Post to Thread