LTD EC-1000T/CTM Pickup change

Updated
jamez86
I'm planning to change my LTD EC-1000T/CTM's original EMG pickups to passive ones. I know that passive pickups need a ground wire. So, does anybody know if the ground wire is already installed in factory? Sorry for my bad english... :(
StaggerLee

I did the exact same thing with the same guitar. Your new pickups should come with a ground wire already attached. You'll need new potentiometers AND knobs unless you buy Asian parts somewhere. I had to widen the holes by drilling with a 3/8 inch drill bit so that I could install CTS 500k pots.

The whole process was a pain in the ass but the guitar sounds so much better with passive pickups. EMGs are cool, just not for the tones I was looking for.

capoeiraesp

I think what Jamez is asking is whether or not there's a ground wire already installed in the guitar, not the pickup.
There won't be one unfortunately so you'll have to drill one in carefully. What I did on my mh-1000 was get a long thin drill bit, take out the bridge and posts and roughly estimate the shortest distance from the posts to the control cavity. After that I fed through a wire with a bare end staying in the bridge post's hole and the other in the wiring cavity.
Good luck!

StaggerLee

I think what Jamez is asking is whether or not there's a ground wire already installed in the guitar, not the pickup.
There won't be one unfortunately so you'll have to drill one in carefully. What I did on my mh-1000 was get a long thin drill bit, take out the bridge and posts and roughly estimate the shortest distance from the posts to the control cavity. After that I fed through a wire with a bare end staying in the bridge post's hole and the other in the wiring cavity.
Good luck!

Oh, I see. Mine did.

Jamez, open it up and take a look. On mine, it's a small black wire going into a drilled hole just to the left of the opening that leads to 9v battery housing. Probably connected to the back of your master tone pot.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ammar

Wow....never thought about the ground wire. Pain in the ass indeed.

StaggerLee

Mine has it. It's an EC-1000 T/CTM with a standard nut. Earvana nuts were on earlier production models. I guess that's really not relevant. One thing I noticed was that this guitar is much lighter that my EC-401VF. Too light. Feels like balsa wood. So much that when I'm standing with it, the neck slides down because it's balanced weirdly, like the neck is heavier than the body. Light body/bright tone. It's already bright enough with it's "Ebony" fretboard.

I have a real love/hate thing going on with it and will probably sell it and just get a heavy Les Paul.

Murdoc

Mine has it. It's an EC-1000 T/CTM with a standard nut. Earvana nuts were on earlier production models. I guess that's really not relevant. One thing I noticed was that this guitar is much lighter that my EC-401VF. Too light. Feels like balsa wood. So much that when I'm standing with it, the neck slides down because it's balanced weirdly, like the neck is heavier than the body. Light body/bright tone. It's already bright enough with it's "Ebony" fretboard.

I have a real love/hate thing going on with it and will probably sell it and just get a heavy Les Paul.
I might have to take a road trip to buy that from ya, if you decide to sell it! Where ya at down there man? Like Mississippi?

On my ltd m300-fm with actives there is a solder point on the one trem claw spring. I thought this was odd because I bought the guitar from MF new and it never had a ground wire attached there, only the spot of solder where the ground would go.

jamez86

My guitar is also with standard nut. I bought it new. And my guitar weights quite much.

-Jamez

StaggerLee

I live in Huntsville. Or just outside of it, really.

I played my EC-1000T/CTM today and was back in love with it. I intonated it with the Peterson tuner app on my phone, which I highly recommend as it's only 10 bucks. The "ebony" neck was died to look darker. I still get a little of that residue on my fingers. Whatever the wood is, it's nice. Hard and smooth with a bright tone.

GUAMAIK

Hi Guys, Also I have the same dilemma, how install a pair sh-6 set in my EC-1000 VB, the problem is this guitar doesn´t have a ground, no cable alone or unhook, even no hole to install one.

I have two options (I am afraid option 2):

1-Install a EMG PA-2 boss with the boost set to zero: this device act as a low impedance device, then I can use the 25k pots originally from the actives and I understand avoid the use of ground to the bridge (i am not sure about this last issue).

2- Drill a Hole and install a ground cable to rise the birdge: This is a sirugic move, and I dont have tools or experience, also I can damage the guitar. If anyone tried something similar I appreciate your advice/help

Post to Thread