EC-401 Really Bright tone

Updated
Digiadaamore
Hey guys, i tried out an ec-401 for the first time today and it sounded great but it was oddly bright like what you would expect from alder. is that normal for these? i payed it back to back with a mahogany V and the V was so much darker and warmer. i loved the tone but its not what i was looking for in an all mahogany guitar. and it not the pickups or any other factor im talking purely acoustically
Feraledge

I tried asking before about the sourcing of mahogany with ESP, but still haven't gotten any where with it. I'm still trying to figure out how illegally logged and endangered mahogany species are still being used for guitars at such a low price point. There has to be a bottleneck in supply where a $4-600 guitar doesn't cover it. Higher end models are no doubt using Honduran and African mahogany, but I know some mahogany comes from African species that aren't threatened but don't have that original mahogany depth.
Maybe there's a chance that this is a hint at what they're using.
If anyone has an answer, I'd love to know personally. I have no interest in buying a new mahogany guitar if that's where the wood is coming from.
Was in a 401FM or QM? The maple cap would make a little bit of difference, but not enough to mask a mahogany tone, especially with a mahogany neck...

Digiadaamore

I tried asking before about the sourcing of mahogany with ESP, but still haven't gotten any where with it. I'm still trying to figure out how illegally logged and endangered mahogany species are still being used for guitars at such a low price point. There has to be a bottleneck in supply where a $4-600 guitar doesn't cover it. Higher end models are no doubt using Honduran and African mahogany, but I know some mahogany comes from African species that aren't threatened but don't have that original mahogany depth.
Maybe there's a chance that this is a hint at what they're using.
If anyone has an answer, I'd love to know personally. I have no interest in buying a new mahogany guitar if that's where the wood is coming from.
Was in a 401FM or QM? The maple cap would make a little bit of difference, but not enough to mask a mahogany tone, especially with a mahogany neck...

nope standard all mahogany. i had never thought of this idea but its a good point i suppose its possible that another subspecies of mahogany, that is still mahogany theyre not lying or anything, is being used that has a different characteristic sound

Digiadaamore

this just in, it may have had a maple top! check out this exchange on an youtube video
LOL, ESP doesn't even put a little edit... "Not a Maple Top!".
I think should be in the video
GRAVESEED 6 months ago
It is a maple top.
espguitarsusa in reply to GRAVESEED 6 months ago 10
Seriously? Everyone says it doesn't.... I don't know what to think anymore.
The site doesn't list a maple Top... I naturally assume that it doesn't have a maple top just like the other LTD's.
GRAVESEED in reply to espguitarsusa 6 months ago
Many LTD EC models have a maple top. We need to clarify that on our site. Thanks.
espguitarsusa in reply to GRAVESEED 6 months ago

Post to Thread