Pickups for an EC-256

Updated
seanturner74
I got a new EC-256 about two weeks ago. I think it's a great guitar, good quality and nice to play. But I know the pickups could be upgraded to something better. Has anyone with this guitar switched out the pickups? Which did you get, and what would you recommend? I play 60s and 70s classic rock and blues-rock (Led Zeppelin, Humble Pie, Thin Lizzy, Cream etc...) so I don't want anything high-gain or modern sounding. I'm looking for a vintage Les Paul tone. Your thoughts?
Bas D.

Pics of the new axe?

seanturner74

Don't have pics yet, but I will soon.

Do you have one?

Bas D.

No, I haven't. I was thinking of getting one, but ended up with my ltd EXP-200 pre lawsuit :) The ec-256 is a nice guitar though, for sure ;) Do you have the one in aged vintage black or the other one?

seanturner74

The one I have is the distressed goldtop. I'm not a fan of reliced guitars at all but when I picked up this EC-256 it played so nicely I knew I had to buy it.

It's surprising because I'm used to thick-necked guitars and didn't think I'd like this one because it's relatively thin, but the playability is very, very good. That's why I bought it: the neck is so easy and fast and comfortable to play.

It's my first ESP/LTD guitar and I've become a big fan of this brand. Thinking about getting another ESP later this year.

Bas D.

Nice dude, glad you like the guitar! When I played it, I really liked it as well. The relic is pretty cool, especially on the goldtop I think!

Any plans on what ESP or ltd will be your next? :D

And welcome dude :)

seanturner74

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I'm in need of a Tele so I was thinking of maybe the TE-202. I used to be a Fender guy but have had bad luck with them lately so I'm trying out different brands and the TE-202 looks like it has what I'm looking for (particularly U-shaped neck and extra jumbo frets).

Although the different super-strat types look tempting so I may go for one of those, not sure which one though. So many to choose from!!

seanturner74

Nobody?

seanturner74

ok can someone at least tell me what the specs are of the stock pickups? How hot are the LH-150 pickups? Anyone measure them?

Iron Dog

Hi, welcome to the board. I'm a Seymour Duncan guy, so if it were me I'd probably go with an SD 59 in the neck and something along lines of an SD 59, Alnico II Pro, or Pearly Gates.

If I ever ditch the EMG 81/60 in my LTD EC-500 I would probably go with an SD 59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. I play heavier stuff, but most of my other guitars have high-output pick ups.

Can't help you with the specs on the LH-150 pups, pups are usually the first thing to be changed on my guitars.

seanturner74

Hi, welcome to the board. I'm a Seymour Duncan guy, so if it were me I'd probably go with an SD 59 in the neck and something along lines of an SD 59, Alnico II Pro, or Pearly Gates.

If I ever ditch the EMG 81/60 in my LTD EC-500 I would probably go with an SD 59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. I play heavier stuff, but most of my other guitars have high-output pick ups.

Can't help you with the specs on the LH-150 pups, pups are usually the first thing to be changed on my guitars.
Hi, thanks for the welcome and the reply. Seymour Duncans are a good idea, so that's what I'm probably going to go for. The 59 in the neck position is a good idea since it should get me those classic rock tones I'm looking for. I have a Pearly Gates bridge pup in a Strat and though it's a different guitar I'll go for something different with this LTD. Maybe a 59 bridge would be good too, and I may just get the 59 set.

Thanks!!!

load more replies (1 of 1)
StaggerLee

DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs. Although I think the 256s have a thinner body than a Les Paul so take that into consideration. Take a look at the DiMarzio Norton, too.

Seymour Duncan JB and 59 set would also be sweet.

seanturner74

Thanks for all recommendations everyone. I did some research based on your suggestions. I didn't know much about the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary before, but I looked into them after reading the posts here and they definitely sound like what I want for this guitar. I decided to go with the 36th Anniversary bridge. And I like the tone of the pearly gates neck the best.

So I decided to go with the following combo: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates neck/Dimarzio 36th anniversary bridge. I heard that this combo works well.

I like passive pups, they fit my style (more vintage, traditional tones) better than EMGs.

Guitar God

I'd go with the following:
DiMarzio Super Distortion/PAF Pro combo
DiMarzio Super Distortion/Humbucker From Hell combo
DiMarzio PAF Pro/PAF Pro combo
DiMarzio EJ Custom bridge/EJ Custom neck combo
DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary combo

Personally, as far as passive pickups go, you can't beat DiMarzio.

Gazmonster

I have a pearly gates in my tokai les paul, Sounds awesome. much better than the JB. The 59 sounds a bit muddy in mine in the neck, thinking of a Jazz.

Gfunk

Anyone notice there are no fucking pics in this thread?

Or is it just me?

load more replies (1 of 1)
seanturner74

LOL. Sorry guys. I've just been so busy lately with university that I haven't had the time to take pics. Man I barely had time to even play the guitar that much, having no free time.

I'll try over the weekend.

Oh it's the goldtop finish btw.

fireheart82

dimarzio steves special and air norton.

Murdoc

Still no pics?

The Doberman is gonna get mad if he sees this thread bumped w/ no pics!

seanturner74

I honestly don't know when I can get pics unfortunately. I'm in university doing grad studies and extremely busy the past few months. Seriously, I only got the chance to play guitar about 45 minutes the past week, and just a little more the weeks before. No time to play, much less take pics. I hate being so busy...

Post to Thread