hey, new here, and I got a mystery for you guys: M-155

Updated
ESPEngelke
Wazzup esp, I stumbled across a used LTD-M155 at GC. I played, loved it (with new pups in mind obviously lol) and so I bring it home, and I cannot find a single bit of info on the 155, except some reviews which dont help. Its a 2006 Korean model. So, does anyone on here know anything about these guitars? Specs? Stock pups? Why they aren't made anymore? Not a huge mystery I know but still... Here are some Grainy pictures I took, hope this helps
ESPEngelke

attempt at picture with mobile web...

Fred W.

The  esp ltd m155 was a Mars Music exclusive i purchased a blue one in 2002 ..  however mars music filed bankruptcy and most of the store locations closed then the empty locations  were taken by Sam Ash music 

1point8t

Pretty sure those bodies were made of basswood... they were a lower line LTD model, but the build quality probably rivals the mid to upper range LTD's of today. Upgrade the pickups and cheap licensed Floyd bridge and you'll have one solid axe.

ESPEngelke

thanks for the reassuring words bro,
now how about a 2006 Indonesian EC-50 with Agathis wood?
Its heavy as shit compared to todays 50's and for a used low end its a beast, lol
any thoughts on like, 2006 agathis vs. 2011 maple?

1point8t

Agathis is a relative of mahogany which grows in the far east... kind of a dull sounding wood. I had an M-300fm back in the day and it really didn't have a lot going on in the tone department. The solution? Throw some EMG's in there :p

ESPEngelke

Yeah thats what Im gunna do!
I know its a low end but after I had to sell my old KH202 my girlfriend got me the EC-50 used and so I kinda gotta keep it, and if I gotta keep it I'm gunna use it. lol, its a solid little guitar non the less!

1point8t

The old KH202's rule...

And yea, nothing wrong with the 50's. Better than most lower end Jacksons, BC Rich, etc. Good beater guitars and are a solid platform for modding, if you don't mind spending the cash.

ESPEngelke

dude, i know!
i loved my old 202 and recently i played a newer one at GC and it just feels so different.

I love my 50 and my 155 and I actually really do love 'em seeing as how my 50 has the old style body and my 155... is apparently rare lol!

my guitars is cheap but they rule! especially after i stick emgs in them!

1point8t

Haha... EMG's sound good in dogshit for crying out loud.

Old LTDs are one of the best bargains out there, GC's always blowing them out cheap. The new China built stuff isn't nearly as nice as the old stuff. That 155 you picked up looks really nice, throw a Floyd Rose Special bridge (80-90 bucks) and a Zakk Wylde set in there, and call it a day.

ESPEngelke

deffinatly will!
dude the only info i legit got on the 155 was reviews from 2003-1999 and even then all i learned was it had gotoh tuners. lol!
but yeah like i plugged it in at GC and it sounded like a higher end LTD so for $200 I figured it was a steal!

deus ex machina

It's not necessarily from 2006. I think they started using the current system for serial numbers around '02 or '03, so this could be older than that.

:)

ESPEngelke

why would they do that?
why would an '06 be older then '06?

ESPEngelke

So... the M155 serial number starts with
E 06.
..and my EC 50 starts with IR 06.
What does that mean.

Justinschut

both made in 06 but different factories/countries

ESPEngelke

Dudeman, lol thats not the issue.
My M-155 is Korean and my EC-50 is Indonesian. That is stamped clear as day on them.

The mystery is the serial numbers.
They aren't (as far as I can tell/have been led to believe) the standard ESP numbers.
They seem to be the pre 2002 serial numbers. Im trying to find a year for them.

1point8t

'E' is a South Korean plant... it's very well possible yours was an 06, but I thought the 155's were built earlier than that.

'I' does designate the Indonesian plant owned by Samick that builds a shit ton of guitars for different companies.

Post to Thread