EC-1000 or EC-256?

Updated
Kelby
Bit of a conundrum here, I've been tossing up the two for a little bit. I feel the 1000 would be a better guitar overall, but I'm questioning if it's worth the money for what I want to do. I'm looking for a semi-versatile guitar, something that plays a handful of styles well. I play anything from jazz to hard rock metal. I know the feel of the EC 1000 and it's amazing but is it comparable to the 256? From what I remember reading, I believe the 256 has bigger frets but I'm not 100% sure. I can't remember if the EC 256 is neck-thru or not either. As far as the sound, pretty much anything in between what I'm looking to play. Anything from a heavy distorted chunk to a full round clean sound. Not all to concerned with this portion as much as the feel but how do the pick-ups in the 256 sound? I haven't gotten a chance to play the EC 256 so I really don't know how it sounds or feels. I'm definitely going to before I buy either of them, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. The only thing I know it lacks that would be absolutely awesome are those extra 2 frets but that's not too big a deal. Not enough to break another $400+ on a guitar that could potentially feel and play the same. And as far as the faded finish, I'll deal if it comes to the 256. I'm looking for my hands to feel comfortable when I play, not so much concerned with color or how it looks.
t1mman

Both set necks, both mahogany construction, one big difference is the pikcup. The EMG are well renowened, and coupled with Mahogany, you van get a very good tone out of the EC1000 OEM where you'd need to upgrade the PU on the 256.
EMGs are worth about 200$ for the combo (and well worth it IMHO)
But then, you also have a 24 frets ebony fretboard Vs. 22 fret rosewood.

Ebony is known to be the "middle ground" between maple and rosewood; ie: Snapier, cleaner sound. The EC 1000 is also a midle line where the EC 256 is an entry line, the EC1000 should feel more "well built", have better parts and electronics. The question is, is it worth it to you? The best would most likely be to take each one up, play it for a while and switch. (IMHO, it should be worth it)

Kelby

Wow, I totally forgot about the fretboard types. As far as the pickups go, I actually do have a set of EMGs I could use to put into the 256. I mean, I would rather not, but if it'll save me $$$ in the long run. Like, I know the EC1000 IS worth it but I'm trying to see how comfortable I am testing the EC256. I'm probably going to check out the 256 tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply. More suggestions and personal experiences are more than welcome too. Please, I need it lol

Nitrobattery

I've worked in a few stores that have been ESP dealers. The EC1000 is definitely a better guitar....but the EC-256's are actually pretty slammin for the money.

Murdoc

This is a no-brainer, you would have to upgrade the cheaper guitar in which case you would be further ahead to just get the 1000series to begin with. If your set on choosing one of these axes you will be sorry if you get the cheap one.

AWKguitarist

Ec1000 hands down

AWKguitarist

......but id go with the seymour duncans, so it can be a versatile guitar as well.

Bas D.

ec1000. However the 256 is pretty cool! Played it a couple of times, and was pretty impressed!

LORDDiESEL

ec1000. However the 256 is pretty cool! Played it a couple of times, and was pretty impressed!

I was playing around with one at the store as well. I couldn't believe how well it played.

Must have been the set up man at the factory :)

StaggerLee

Neither for what you are looking for. But in the middle of those is the EC-401VF. Mine is 10+ pounds of sweet tone from Seymour Duncan JB and '59 pickups. The body is thicker than the 256 or 1000 (except the 1000t/ctm). You can find them really cheap on fleabay. Close to what you'd pay for a new 256. If you are into jazz, I wouldn't even consider EMGs but that's a personal preference.

Rusty

I have both. just get both! lol

Randy G.

I have the 256 and upgraded the hard tail with a Gotoh and dimarzio Evo's wouldn't trade it for the world. it is my go to axe!! and still cheaper than the 1000. no Gibson even compares 

Daniel S.

I have both. They are very different, but both stunning in their own way. The 1000 is beautiful with its turquoise inlays all around the guitar. Has a little thinner neck than the 256 so a little easier to play. Neck and fretboard is flawless. My dislike with the 1000 I Have is the EMG pickups. They sound too modern, ie, too synthetic. The 256 has a little wider neck and some fret burrs. But I love It’s simple pickups. It sounds more raw and much better for getting that classic rock sound. The 400 series is my favorite. D’marzio pickups are great and body is heavier and wider with no belly cutaway. All three are great fit and finish guitars.

Harsh M.

I have an ec - 256, and upgraded the pickups to emg 57/66 - it’s an amazing guitar! And yes still didn’t cost as much as ec 1000 - and honestly the build is very decent did not face any issues with hardware or frets or setup etc. stays in tune too most of the time. 

Post to Thread