Blackouts vs emgs?

Updated
formoutofchaos
Seems The blackouts are touted as a bigger more open emg, what r ur guys experiences ? Do any guitars come W them ?
antikue

Blackouts are noticeably hotter than EMGs and they do sound bigger and more open. Wiring EMGs for 18-volt action narrows the gap somewhat but I feel Blackouts are way better still. The EMG X series is a lower gain active design that (IMO) falls short of being an active pickup (by output) and it really isn't a convincing passive either.

Some 2011 ESP models are now equipped with Blackouts, the older are almost exclusively EMG.

nugget666

Blackouts ftw !

formoutofchaos

Not that i am an expert guitarist but i really did here the diff even on youtube , im thinjing of swapping out the 81 85 for the abh 2 ? Is that the better model the abh 3 seemed a bit trebley ????

formoutofchaos

Think im
Leaning towards emg x 81 85

break

I have two active guitars, a Schecter Blackjack ATX running Blackouts and an LTD EC series running EMG's (60/81).

The 81 is brilliant for metal, but just lacks the depth for a wider range of styles. It just doesn't sound 'full' enough for a number of other styles and sounds.

The Blackouts are the 'do everything, but rock the hell out doing it' pickups in my eyes. They don't sound as good down low (IMO) as the EMG's, but they are better everywhere else... and I'm definitely sold on Blackouts as the 'better' pickups.

cecilbag

I think emg's have more clarity at high volumes where the blackouts get a bass and mids blending together type sound. I much prefered the dave mustain livewires, I thought they had a good active\passive blend

brandono61cr

I think emg's have more clarity at high volumes where the blackouts get a bass and mids blending together type sound. I much prefered the dave mustain livewires, I thought they had a good active\passive blend

i have wanted to try those for so long

rumblebox

the EMG 85 sounds killer in the bridge of brighter sounding guitars.

Guitar God

I personally like EMGs better. More clarity and just sound better to me. I like the Blackouts but IMO, EMG is better.

Murdoc

I think if someone replaces emgs w/ blackouts they have too much time and "throw away money" to spare. EMG's all the way. Unless you need the blackout's sound for some reason. I don't think the differences aren't enough to warrant swapping.

load more replies (1 of 1)
deus ex machina

EMG should REALLY start making a 60TW.

60 in the neck > 85. IMO.

AWKguitarist

I swapped 2 evolution 7 pickups for a pair of 7 string blackouts in a really nice 7 string Jackson. I was completely disappointed. The evolutions were better especially for solos, they just sounded lifeless.
7 string Evolutions are different from the 6 string versions which I loathe. The evolution 7's are awesome, with clarity and nice tone.

AWKguitarist

The blackouts sounded lifeless*

fireheart82

blackouts have more kind of a organic tone..

Post to Thread