string guage for c tuning?

Updated
garyjfoster
i was gonna put my gibson explorer in c tuning....what guage should i use...im in d tuning now with 11 guage d'addario
creativename11

.13-.56?
i can get there with .11-.48 personally

garyjfoster

i was wondering cause of the short scale length

garyjfoster

I was thinking with the 13 -56

SixFlames

12-56. Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky".
will do perfectly.

Xaladar

If it IS a short scale, the obvious solution is to use lighter strings. My Viper is a 24.75, and it works pretty beautifully in Drop C tuning with just 10 gauge strings. Eventually, I might get another short-scale and slap some 11s on it for C standard and Drop A♭ tuning.

jl-austin

On my 24 3/4 scale guitar that I had tuned to C, I used 12-52. I also used 12's on my normal scale guitar, the shorter scale had a little less tension, but I thought the 13's had a little to much tension tuned to C.

Bleak

On a short scale, I won't use anything other than .13-.56

garyjfoster

my explorer is in d standard with 11-49 so i was thinking either 13-56 or 12-56...the brand im not sure of...what do you use?

Dark Alone

Played in C-standard for years now using D'Addario EJ-21s. Work great.

Trogdor

D'Addario EJ-21s

This.

garyjfoster

got it done...ernie ball 12-56 got to stretch those strings and let it settle a bit....otherwise it feels tight

garyjfoster

well i have to say this set is pulling the neck and cant stay in tune....its having major problems...i think im gonna go with d'addario 12-52

garyjfoster

i went back to 12-52 d'addario and it worked perfectly...i knew it would work

blistered earth

11/52 or standard 12s

sk3tch3dx

10.5 - 46 for me

garyjfoster

bjorn from in flames uses 13-68 guage...specially coated...cause he cant touch nickel strings...he is allergic and gets blisters....thats rough

Post to Thread