Regarding LTD MH400 (ESP Newbie)

Updated
Astry
Hi everyone. I've recently been thinking about purchasing an esp mh-400 ltd. I've been playing the same Ibanez for 10 years so I'm pretty clueless about esp. I noticed in some pictures the headstock on some mh-400s are black, and some are blue. Which is the newer model? or is it purely aesthetic? The one at the store I'll probably be buying from has a blue headstock. Is this the newer model? And regardless, is it the one I should be going for? A second question I have ... does the mh-400 play open chords well? I play a lot of metal, but often resort to just strumming basic open chords in clean if I'm recording something. I've played the one at the store a bit (the EMG 85 bridge pickup suits me fine), but I'm still a bit hazy on the issue as I haven't had much to compare it with in the past. I had my eye on a LTD KH-202 as well, but it seems very, very similar to the MH-400 except for the pickups. Unfortunately though, no guitar store near me has them in stock right now so I can't sample one for myself. I'm guessing the MH is the more versatile guitar, although I couldn't say which is the easiest to play. Anyone have any experience with these two guitars regarding the ease of use? Thanks. =]
Velt017

KH-202s aren't that great, I'd avoid them.

The MH-400s on the other hand are sick and you should get one immediately because they are sick.

Bradley

KH-202s aren't that great, I'd avoid them.

The MH-400s on the other hand are sick and you should get one immediately because they are sick.

Go for an LTD MH-1000, worth every penny my friend..

EvolutionVII

Hi everyone.

I've recently been thinking about purchasing an esp mh-400 ltd. I've been playing the same Ibanez for 10 years so I'm pretty clueless about esp.

First of all, are you going to get a MH401 (Indonesia) or an old MH400 (Korea, out of production)? Which version are you going for - NT or FR?

I noticed in some pictures the headstock on some mh-400s are black, and some are blue. Which is the newer model? or is it purely aesthetic?

The one at the store I'll probably be buying from has a blue headstock. Is this the newer model? And regardless, is it the one I should be going for?

LTD MH401FR have a matching headstock, so it should be the newer model made in Indonesia. I personally prefer koreanmade LTDs. Go for LTD Deluxe series if you can.

I had my eye on a LTD KH-202 as well, but it seems very, very similar to the MH-400 except for the pickups. Unfortunately though, no guitar store near me has them in stock right now so I can't sample one for myself.

KHs do not have an arched top, it's an M model. I dislike low budget signature models.

I'm guessing the MH is the more versatile guitar, although I couldn't say which is the easiest to play. Anyone have any experience with these two guitars regarding the ease of use?

Thanks. =]

No LTD plays like the other. You have to play a few of them and pick your fav.

Outlaw

If you can deal with a tad of abalone, for around the same price, I would recommend the H-1001 (black with emgz or ST blue with duncans). Pretty sure this guitar will do everything you need it to. Certainly a better guitar than either the 400 or the KH-202, and at $599 shipped from Sam Ash, you really can't go wrong.

blistered earth

ok the mh-400 is an archtop and has a quilt maple top the one your thinkin of probably has thru body stringing and a set thru neck
the kh202 (although i love metallica) is a total rip off you can get the same thing in an ltd m100 with a better finish. i would recommend the mh400 or get the m100 or m250

njrusmc

Any 400 series or better LTD is going to be worth it. If you get a 400 with a trem, you should consider the 1000 series for the OFR. Any fixed bridge 400 is great, though.

Astry

Thanks for the replies.

That the mh-400 is out of production is interesting.... it finally makes sense to me now why it isn't displayed on ESP's site lol.

The mh-1000 (trem) is what I'm looking at now. I think it'll be worth the bit extra. I've come across some good deals online.

Like I said, unfortunately I'm unable to test out most of these guitars, so it makes sense that if I AM going for an LTD it may as well be a deluxe =] I've heard very few negative comments about it and mostly they're just complaints about the abalone (which I can live with).

Post to Thread