EC-1000 change emg's to passives??

Updated
ozzybob
hey guys, i have been lurking around here for a while now and this is my first post. i have an ec-1000 vb (pics will arrive when i'm not being lazy) and i'm thinking about swapping them out for passives. i have a friend who has an SG with seymour duncans (JB and Jazz). i'm thinking about swapping them out with him, (i would swap the pots as well) but i'm thinking that the emg's are worth a little more than the JB and the jazz. would i be a dick if i asked for a little extra in cash? if not, then how much? also, for anyone who has passives in their ec-1000, how do you like them? i don't really care for the emg's as i'm not really playing heavy stuff anymore. i used to have an epiphone with a jb and a 59, but this guitar is obviously not as thick and i would guess that the sound would be different than my last guitar. thanks for your help!
Borked Bob

ozzybob your name is a merge of 2 members here, change this now!

Velt017

1. Yes, you'd be being a dick

2. I think the JB sounds weak and doesn't clean up well at all.

Pushead

i have a friend ... would i be a dick if i asked for a little extra in cash?

Yes, you would be a dick if he's truly a friend. At many stores, the EMG M-II costs about $50 more than the SD M-II.

ozzybob

haha i won't ask for any extra cash then.

can you guys recomend me any other passives? i actually thought about getting rid of my guitar and buying a strat (i know, completely different sounds) but i'm not really looking for metal pickups but just well-rounded versatile pickups and i am thinking about coil tapping them eventually.

Pushead

What style music are you playing?

I find the Duncan Custom, or Duncan Custom Custom are very nice sounding pickups in Mahogany guitars that don't need quite as much gain. The Duncan 59s are nice sounding in both the neck and bridge positions, though my experience is really only in guitars with maple tops.

ozzybob

I'm starting to lean towards rock/bluesish stuff. I play every sunday at church but I usually play my acoustic but sometimes I'll play my electric and the emgs don't really work out for that kind of music. (which I can't stand to play anyway but I'm still not happy with the sound)

I had an epiphone LP and I put the JB/59 combo in there and I really liked the sound of the 59 in the neck and the JB was a little trebly but I didn't mind. It only bothered me a little when I played high gain stuff through it. I'll have to take a look at the customs. I have heard some good things about them as well. The reason why I was asking about the JB/jazz was because it would be an even trade and I wouldn't have to pay for new pickups. but I'm guessing I could get a decent amount for the EMGs if I decide to get something different.

onemilelost

The JB/59 sounds good in the EC-1000. I've never had a problem with them. I have also tried a JB/Jazz combo and it is a little more mellow(due to the Jazz). If you need a bit more power, I'd recommend a SH-6(b)Distotion and a Jazz in the neck.

reilly

+1 on the Duncan Custom, or Duncan Custom Custom, i also had the JB and 59 combo as well in my ec1000.

Currently Im using Rio Grande pickups which IMO have more clarity and articulation. Look into the BBQ or Muygrande for your style. I have the Crunchbox and Punchbox in my horizon, they cost a little more, but since i put them in my guitar 1.5 years ago I have had no desire to swap them out.

Post to Thread